Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Article about: Hi Guys, this trailer was found on a farm in Scotland in 1993. I bought it. This is my trailers known history. The trailer that you see before you was especially designed for use by the Airb

Default Re: My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Hi Guys, I was contacted by a collector in the USA who was interested in knowing the WD numbers/contract info and makers details for these trailers. As I have just sent him this, I though I would also share it with you here too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

?

Smile Re: My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Quote by kmag View Post
    Hello.
    Nice trailer you got there. I also got one. Can you help me to find out what year my trailer is made. The X 5897974, (close to yours) The other numbers I got is 7130 and OF 12544 and No.1 11.

Best regards Kjell Magne.
    Hello.

Now it is ready for a new summer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer   My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

Looking good

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi again folks. I have started for full on my restoration now. I still have noe answers concerning these mystery welds under the rear of the frame. Do anyone have any info on these?? My guess is that they are original.....but for what? Could it be some kind of tail-light mount? I have simular welds on both sides. Almost S-shaped.
    I will take a better picture soon. I have so far found no other traces after tail-light mounts on the side of the frame on type 2 trailers... But you can see something under the frame on these pictures. Any help apriciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer   My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

?

Talking Re: My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Hi!!!

Here are som more pictures of the welds. But I am pretty sure of what they are now. These are welds after a rear light bracket. You can barely see it on the previous post, but more clearly in the parts manual. It is a triangular shaped bracket with the edge pointing downwards. Does anyone have a trailer with these present? I need meassurements!!! And the parts manual also shows that this type of trailer had two rear lights. Welded cable clips to each side indicates this as well.

?

Thumbs up Re: My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Heres the best picture I have of it, located at the bottom on the right hand side of the picture!!

Svenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

?

Hi Svenn,
    i thing this is for the bracket for the convoy light svitch.

?

Hi Radek. Its not for the switch. On type II the switch is located on the rear cross member on the frame.

I have confirmation on that there was a bracket there from several people now, and only need a good picture of it or even better meassurements to fabricate new ones.

Cheers

Svenn

?

Quote by svenn View Post
    Studied the switch and the pictures again. Take a look at this:

I am pretty sure the three holes are for the bakelite switch. I will study mine carefully to see if they are welded up.

Do you guys think the switch were mounted on the inside or outiside??

Svenn
    Hi folks.... I just talked to a guy who has a type 2 trailer with the brackets I need meassurements for, so he will take pictures and make a drawing

He also told me that the bakelite switch on his original (not restored) trailer has the bakelite switch mounted on the inside of the rear cross member. So another mystery solved !!

Getting there!!!

?

Here comes another question.... Electrical...

All the bulbs in both original tail lights and collomnlight is duplex polarity. And the connectors for the trailer are duplex. Were there duplex wiring to all lamps? Brake lights? If so...how were earth connected between vehicle and trailer?

And if not...were wiring only simplex - and earth connected to the chassie somewhere?? I see some of you have original wiring. Please shead a light on to this one!

(K-mag- do you have a new mail adress? Mails keep coming in return..)

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast