Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Antique Store Finds

Article about: by Falschirmjager Hi there, Very nice set of items youve got there and well done. I reckon the 75mm's are of same type used in the US Sherman Tank in WW2. Dummy rounds were often used to tra

Default My Antique Store Finds

Hello, all!

I took a ride with my girlfriend to the famous fort at Ticonderoga. There was this antique store on the way that had "militaria" on their sign, so of course I had to stop in.

They had A LOT of stuff... from American Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, WWI and WWII. I wasn't there for any serious buying, so I got these for cheap.

The messkit is kind of a mystery to me... I saw the lid is marked 1941, but I was disappointed to see that the body is marked 1954. I'm assuming it's a Bundeswehr reissue?
    My Antique Store FindsMy Antique Store FindsMy Antique Store FindsMy Antique Store FindsMy Antique Store Finds

The wooden dummy shell has the flaming bomb emblem on it, but I fear that might be post war too...
    My Antique Store FindsMy Antique Store FindsMy Antique Store Finds

The service flag is made of cardboard and is marked "DESIGN PATENTED NOV. 6, 1917"
    My Antique Store FindsMy Antique Store FindsMy Antique Store Finds

Finally, I got a U.S. asia/pacific campaign medal. I'm confident this one is legit.
    My Antique Store FindsMy Antique Store Finds

If any of this stuff ends up being bad, I honestly won't be too broken up about it. I spent about $45 dollars on it all.

Default Re: My Antique Store Finds

No comments?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    No comments?
    It happens.

I know next to nothing about these items. I like the dummy shell, it it dated? I could not make it out clearly from the pics. The cardboard flag is cool, do you know what it signifies?(if that's not a dumb question) I assume you are right about the mess tin being post war reissued. Asia pacific medal is correct, these are fairly cheap and are probably not faked -YET!!!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi,
    I dont think you have done to bad actually, i like the shell and the service flag out of them all the service flag may be a prota-type which make it very collectable. as i collect ordnance i think the shell is good i dont know much about U.S, medals though.
    Dave.

The Service Flag is very cool....families hung these from their window or door to show passers by that they have a family member fighting in the war, a star for each member that was serving is how I think it worked.

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    The Service Flag is very cool....families hung these from their window or door to show passers by that they have a family member fighting in the war, a star for each member that was serving is how I think it worked.
    Yep! If I'm correct... a blue star represents a family memberwho is still living. A gold star represents a family member that was KIA.

Quote by Bond View Post
    It happens.

I know next to nothing about these items. I like the dummy shell, it it dated? I could not make it out clearly from the pics. The cardboard flag is cool, do you know what it signifies?(if that's not a dumb question) I assume you are right about the mess tin being post war reissued. Asia pacific medal is correct, these are fairly cheap and are probably not faked -YET!!!
    Thanks for the response, Bond!

The dummy shell has stampings on the bottom, but the closest thing I can find to a date stamping would be either a 19 or a 58. I was under the opinion that the flaming bomb army ordnance logo was phased out after WW2... who knows!

I'm happy with the dummy 75mm, Asia/Pacific medal and cardboard service flag... I'm going to sell off the mess kit!

Some nice finds Joe I like the son in service hanger and the drill round those are the kind of things I like.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    Some nice finds Joe I like the son in service hanger and the drill round those are the kind of things I like.

Eric
    Thanks, Eric! I'm still trying to date the dummy 75mm rnd. I have a tough time believing that they'd use a brass shell with wooden tip past WW2.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Thanks, Eric! I'm still trying to date the dummy 75mm rnd. I have a tough time believing that they'd use a brass shell with wooden tip past WW2.
    Hi there, Very nice set of items youve got there and well done. I reckon the 75mm's are of same type used in the US Sherman Tank in WW2. Dummy rounds were often used to train crews in fast and efficient loading of the guns etc. Could be wrong but im sure they are WW2 US 75mm Sherman dummies. Regards, Tim.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast