Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Naval commemorative medal

Article about: Found this in a box of random bits on my loft. It's rather knackered I know, and not 20th century, but interesting nonetheless. Just wanted to share, really, and wonder if anyone can give me

Default Naval commemorative medal

Found this in a box of random bits on my loft. It's rather knackered I know, and not 20th century, but interesting nonetheless. Just wanted to share, really, and wonder if anyone can give me any more info. No idea how it came to be in my possesion, but hey...

Naval commemorative medal

The "heads" side of the medal says: A . A. Hood Lord Bridport Admiral of the White.

The "tails" side says: Off Port L'orient & close to the French shore & batteries with 22 ships attacked and defeated the French fleet of 32 ships. Three ships and 228 guns taken. 23rd June 1795.

Default Re: Naval commemorative medal

Assuming it's not a modern copy (I believe some of these medallions have been reproduced in the early 70's, possibly by Franklin Mint) then it has a value of between £70-£90 at auction prices. The originals were made of copper (dunno if they were plated) and minted by the medal makers Hancock. There are several different types for Nelson and his various victories to name just a few, and they were popular in the early to mid 19th c.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: Naval commemorative medal

Cheers Ned. I doubt it's a modern copy - the box was full of my grandad's stuff which dad never bothered to sort out. It's likely not seen the light of day since the 1940s LOL.