Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Old French tag identified

Article about: Very interesting!

Tom2
    ?

Default Old French tag identified

Among my grandfathers personal effects left over from WW1 we found this Frenchman's identity tag. I was curious but my father has no idea where or how it was found. Grandfather has been dead nearly 60 years but served in France and Belgium in 1918. Artillery wagon driver. Anyway I had seen the tag years before but gave it little thought. The last time I saw it I decided to contact the French embassy about it. They sent me a scan of a document that may be referring to the original owner. He did not survive the conflict. IF I had it and was sure of the identity I may have tried to return it to his heirs, if any. Might be much more valuable to them than us. See photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old French tag identified   Old French tag identified  

Old French tag identified  

?

Default Re: Old French tag identified

Very interesting!

Default Re: Old French tag identified

Hello Tom,
    that's indeed interesting. I made a little search thru the french phone book and found a bunch of people named "Rabeau" at the same location, where Marcel Eugène Rabeau was born and lived until being enlisted for the Great War. Unlucky man who was KIA less than 2 weeks before the end of the war. I can try to find his family for you if you want to return them his ID tag. Very kind of you by the way...
    Let me know.....
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)