Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Old Shoes I Think Are German

Article about: Any thougths and or Opinions? Childrens size for sure.....These are a Vet bring back. Thanks Mike

Default Re: Old Shoes I Think Are German

Quote by Teutonicknights View Post
    I know alot of the folks back then wore clogs, clogs? is that correct, made from wood, very popular. My German friends told me the leather cleats on the bottom were for walking in the snow, but I'm not 100% sure if they are German or Dutch, well see....
    Clogs are only legit if you have nice feet! PS-No 'manfeet' should rock clogs!!!!

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Beats walkin' in the snow of the German winter of '45,though! If you notice,the soles have leather patches tacked on them for traction,so,no doubt,these shoes were worn in icy snow and slush. Brrr... William
    Thats exactly what my German friend said William...

Thanks Mike

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    Clogs are only legit if you have nice feet! PS-No 'manfeet' should rock clogs!!!!
    lol

Quote by Teutonicknights View Post
    lol
    Well manicured feet are a MUST! But lets not get off topic here!

I like the fact that they are Obviously hand carved from scrap wood-you can see the markings under the leather patches from whatever the wood piece was originally. But,regardless-they were made by a Skilled person who was probably very concerned for his little child and just made do with what he had on hand to help with-which wasn't much. With heavy socks or wrapping their feet in rags first,these shoes would have done the job and got them through a terrible winter. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I like the fact that they are Obviously hand carved from scrap wood-you can see the markings under the leather patches from whatever the wood piece was originally. But,regardless-they were made by a Skilled person who was probably very concerned for his little child and just made do with what he had on hand to help with-which wasn't much. With heavy socks or wrapping their feet in rags first,these shoes would have done the job and got them through a terrible winter. William
    William there is some faint markings on them, but I cannot tell what it is. An expert shoe WW2 person might, but it looks like there is an 8 on one of them, and down below there is some markings but are worn....

Mike

I have never seen anything like these. I doubt that they are military. The winter weather wear is a good guess.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I have never seen anything like these. I doubt that they are military. The winter weather wear is a good guess.
    Thank you Bob for your input!

?

I would say a street cobbler who regularly repaired soldiers boots made them from scrap leather slings/straps ,toe cleats and carved wood. A professional shoemaker/cobbler MUST have made them due to the skill and workmanship put into these. Obviously they wernt worn hardly, if at all. The G.I. may have had them made special for a young daughter/son or family member, then forgot to give it to the kid when he got home. As William said..."there could be a million different maybe's and what if's" as to the origin of these. Why would a GI have brought them home? Why are they in unused condition? Why did they sit in a trunk for over 60 years?! One can only imagine.
    ~Dean

Thanks Dean, they were with the other items we talked about on the cell.

Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast