Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

PIAT Barn Find!

Article about: by Screaming Eagle Amazing! Is all of that real? The guns are all real, although the automatics are all deactivated display-only pieces. The SS uniform is mostly reproduction, although there

Default Re: PIAT Barn Find!

Quote by Pompa Mike View Post
    I just read up on that beast. Apparently it had a range of 100 yards. Could you imagine how spooky it would be to go up against a tank at 100 yards with that thing? Rubber underwear comes to mind.

Mike
    I know, it's pretty scary. The other problem is that this thing is HEAVY! I don't want to carry it around the house, much less accross miles of enemy territory!!!

Coloursergeant

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

This is a stunning find. I am not jealous (MUCH! ) PIAT's are hard to find now here in the UK. They command about 1,500 or about $2,500 here. Rounds here are about 140/150. I have shown my inert round on the forum.

Have a look at some of the threads about using Oxalic acid. Using this may bring up a lot of the original paint.

In Arnhem during the anniversary commemorations I have carried one of these for several miles on the march.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Have a look at some of the threads about using Oxalic acid. Using this may bring up a lot of the original paint.

In Arnhem during the anniversary commemorations I have carried one of these for several miles on the march.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade! I will definitely follow your tip and lookup the info on using the Oxalic acid. I would really like preserve and conserve this piece and NOT just sandblast and repaint it!

That must have been a fantastic experience to participate in the Arnhem anniversary events. I'm not envious either!

Terrific item. I know of a gent here in the States that has TWO for sale! Is there anything illegal about owning this at all? Does anyone know if the Communist State of California has any laws prohibiting the owning of such an item?
    Any advice is welcomed! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Quote by einflieger View Post
    Is there anything illegal about owning this at all? Does anyone know if the Communist State of California has any laws prohibiting the owning of such an item?
    Any advice is welcomed!
    Everything I have read indicates that the PIAT is not regulated by the US Federal Government (ATF). I think one of the reasons it is not considered a destructive device is that it doesn't have a barrel, which is part of the definition of a destructive device in the ATF literature. They also have a clause allowing an exemption if a device is extremely unlikely to be used in a crime, which I think would be the case here given the complete lack of available ammunition. PIATs were sold by mail order here in the US by several companies including Century Arms.

State and Local restrictions are another matter. Who can say what California would think of this!

Thank you for the response, I appreciate the information. Anytime I think of these types of laws I first think in terms of common sense, then I look to California law!
    This gent has two in the carry case, no rounds, and I believe was asking $1,500.00 USD for BOTH!!!!!!!!!!! May have to give him a call.

Pompa Mike

....not only that but the PIAT had a recoil like you wouldn't BELIEVE ! Even lying flat on the ground with your heels dug in and feet parallel to the ground it wasn't unheard of for the bloke firing it to find himself a full body length away from where he fired the damn thing

Steve T

Quote by einflieger View Post
    Thank you for the response, I appreciate the information. Anytime I think of these types of laws I first think in terms of common sense, then I look to California law!
    This gent has two in the carry case, no rounds, and I believe was asking $1,500.00 USD for BOTH!!!!!!!!!!! May have to give him a call.
    After a little more checking around, it seems the PIAT was removed from the NFA list long ago, but it appears that it may still be considered a firearm and should be transfered like a rifle. Many PIATs have had the spigot cut off, but I don't know if that would make them a non-firearm or not.

Anyone else have any info on this?

I know this is an old thread, but how did cleaning up the PIAT go?

Thanks

Danny

Actually there has been an interesting development. It turns out my friend actually registered the PIAT as a destructive device with ATF during the 1968 amnesty. He had forgotten about it until he came across the paperwork. We are in the process of contacting ATF to find out if it is still considered an NFA item or not. If it is I'll have to file the appropriate forms and pay the $200 transfer fee.

Given the circumstances, any restoration work has been put on hold pending an answer from ATF. They don't respond to phone inquiries, only written questions, so we're still waiting for a response.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast