Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Pickups and Finds over the past couple months

Article about: Nothing special here, just a bunch of different things the kid and I have stumbled across over the past couple of months hitting our favorite shops and a couple new. I think even an eBay pur

Default Pickups and Finds over the past couple months

Nothing special here, just a bunch of different things the kid and I have stumbled across over the past couple of months hitting our favorite shops and a couple new. I think even an eBay purchase in here. The last photo did turn out to be a bit of a treasure however! A couple of these I've posted in the forum already.

The kid just HAD to have this. A WWII US Signal Coprs Code Training Set. We are looking for a manual for it so that I can give it the once over twice before we attempt to put power to it. Also looking for the correct key. Hopefully we can bring life back to this piece and the kid can use it as an interactive display.

Korean War ear USMC uniform I have been eyeballing in a shop for about a year. The owner of the booth past away and they were selling everything off. Picked up coat and trousers for $25. Now just need to get all the hardware to finish it off.

THis little book was a hoot to read. It covers roughly 2 years of the soldiers time in training. He dated a different girl about every other day, sometimes lunch with one and a movie date with another, on the same day. Then BAM!, one day he meets this one gal and she's the one. He was originally an enlisted man but somewhere along the way got his commission and ended up as the bombardier. His last entries were shortly after landing on the Island of Tarawa with his B-29 Bomber Group. I have found info on the B-29 he was attached to on the net, has his name on the roster.

I posted this CB case on the forum a few weeks ago. We have since gotten in contact with Mr. Hamors family, obtained a little information on him and a photo. He and his wife happen to be buried just a few miles from our home so me and the kid went out to visit them a couple weeks back.

Picked this Amphib jumper up at a local swap meet, has the 13 botton pants as well, both named. The guy I got it from says he also has the flat hat and is saving it for us. We missed the swap meet in Jan, we hope he will be there this month with the hat. The second jumper was an eBay find with a Minecraft patch, pretty hard to find I think. It was a complete named lot, the Dress Blues, working blues, and 2 working whites...all named.

German M62 helmet we picked up just the other day. The other M-1 is also a clone but not sure hust yet from were. So far I'm thinking Danish M48 but have not confirmed for sure. It's void of a liner.

This WWII US Army duffle bag turned out to be quite the treasure. The service number showed up in the National Archives and the soldiers name popped up in several postings on the internet. Turns out this belong to a young man who was captured by the Germans, near the end of the war. We have been in contact with his family (He passed only 7 months ago) and they have quite the story to tell. We are waiting for a care package of photos and other info on Mr. Davis. He is also the author of "The Hitler Diet" a book about the meager rations provided to prisoners during WWII. Mr. Davis has in the process of writing a second book, but passed before it was completed. His neice is now working on piecing what he had written together. Interesting story about a prison guard he befriended as well.

Not shown are a couple of Ike Jackets, a Brit MKV helmet (ebay grab), and some other misc treasures.

Russ & Son

?

Default Re: Pickups and Finds over the past couple months

I like the post war German lid....does it have vent holes?

Quote by AMTG View Post
    I like the post war German lid....does it have vent holes?
    No, the M60/62 does not have vent holes to my knowledge.

Russ

Great stuff Russ.
    Great to see the new finds.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Thanks Nuno,

The last item, the George Davis dufflebag really is turning out to have quite the story behind it. We are awaiting a package, from Mr. Davis's Nephew that contains copies of newspaper clipping the reported him MIA and then confimred as a POW. Also a clipping of him as a little boy shaking hands with (then) Governor Roosevelt in Hyde Park, NY. His story is very interesting on goes on long past his time in WWII.

?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    No, the M60/62 does not have vent holes to my knowledge.

Russ
    Ok....I have all three types of this helmet.....they were issued to the Bundesgrunschutz.....always thought they were M52, but M62 could be the variation without vent holes

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Ok....I have all three types of this helmet.....they were issued to the Bundesgrunschutz.....always thought they were M52, but M62 could be the variation without vent holes
    I'm not familiar with the M-52, don't think it is a clone to the US M-1 as is the M60/62 and M58 also I believe.