Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Possible trench art ashtray

Article about: Hello Friends, I hope you all are well today. I found this several years ago and have been curious about it. Can anyone tell me the nationality and possible time period of this Eagle? Do you

Default Possible trench art ashtray

Hello Friends,

I hope you all are well today. I found this several years ago and have been curious about it. Can anyone tell me the nationality and possible time period of this Eagle? Do you think this could be trench art? As always i look forward to your input.

Take Care,

Mart
    Possible trench art ashtrayPossible trench art ashtrayPossible trench art ashtray

I'm thinking that it's almost certainly trench art or a form of it,in any case. A couple of things I would wonder about,though-the lack of a swastika would tell me that it was either post war German-possibly POW art and the 2nd bit is the odd legs and feet of the eagle. The wings are obviously patterned off of the helmet decal style, but, Lordy, that Head! It's almost cartoony. And, like I said, what on earth is with the legs and talons? Has it been denazified? There look like traces of an under design in places. Is it,maybe, a GI done piece? The problem with trench art is that it's nearly impossible to say one way or another. Definitely an interesting piece with obvious wartime connections,though. Certainly worth hanging on to!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you William, your knowledge and your willingness to share it is greatly appreciated!

Mart

Looks to me like a Native American Thunderbird design.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=na...derbird+design

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Interesting, the State in which this was found had five POW camps and a Native American population at the time of the War. Thank you for your time and input, i appreciate it!!!!

Mart