Become our sponsor and display your banner here

POW made photo frame from a carboot

Article about: Hi all, when I saw this the woman told me to look on the back, saying how sad someone has written on it and sold it to me for 50p. On the back it says "Prisoner of war camp Haltwhistle,

Default POW made photo frame from a carboot

Hi all, when I saw this the woman told me to look on the back, saying how sad someone has written on it and sold it to me for 50p. On the back it says "Prisoner of war camp Haltwhistle, made by Adam Klopfel (?)".

Featherstone Park Camp, Haltwhistle, Northumberland - Standard camp, then Base camp from November 1944.
    Large camp - reportedly up to 7000 prisoners. Huts and tents; guards' compound, two prisoners' compounds, sports field. hostels for up to 200 at Catton, Colwell and Rayless. First built for US troops before D-Day, then used to hold Italian POWs, then German POWs - during 1945 it became a camp for over 3000 German officers and 580 orderlies. Mentioned in 'Prisoners of England' and 'Thresholds of Peace'.
    International Red Cross visit - 10 May 1944, Italian prisoners, states capacity is 5000. (POW Camps in UK - 1 to 50)

Any comments are most welcome.

Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War relics stuff 003.jpg   War relics stuff 004.jpg  

Default Re: POW made photo frame from a carboot

All you need now is a nice picture!

Jock

Awesome find.

Even without a photo in it is a fantastic talking piece. I wonder what he used for materials to make it ?

Steve T

Well I dont know where the leather came from but the braided material around the edge seems to be bootlace, but i'm not sure. Does anyone know how I could find out Wehrmact records or POW records to find our something about this man. My ideal would be to frame a picture of Herr Klopfel.