Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF heated flying suit, found in celler

Article about: Hello. Yesterday i found this when i was cleaning out the cellar. The bag is datez 1944,however there are no dates on the suit.The suit is in excellent as issued condition and was found wrap

?

Default RAF heated flying suit, found in celler

Hello.

Yesterday i found this when i was cleaning out the cellar.
    The bag is datez 1944,however there are no dates on the suit.The suit is in excellent as issued condition and was found wrapped in a type of cellophane.
    This item is not really my thing.Any suggestions of value are appreciated.

Good new year to all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF heated flying suit, found in celler   RAF heated flying suit, found in celler  

RAF heated flying suit, found in celler  

Hi, nice suit, however i have found this forum can only really help you with the historical significance of the item, as you stated:
    Quote by norsk View Post
    This item is not really my thing.Any suggestions of value are appreciated.
    it might be best to try an auctioneer or valuer.

Cheers
    Harry

The bag is something to do with Radios as it is ZA marked

It's a Type H, standard issue from 1944
    can be 12 or 24 volt

The suit is actually a liner to be worn under a suit as part of the layering system for keeping aircrew warm. It is basically an electric blanket but in human form! The company that pioneered the work on electrically heated clothing was Windak and the main designer was Eric Taylor who also designed the Taylor Flying Suit.

The cord is basically acts like an umbilical cord and would plug into sockets on an aircraft. The suits were worn by crew of multi-engine aircraft rather than fighters and were not awfully popular. Complaints were that the suits often short circuited and by being pugged in to the aircraft, movement was restricted. Improvements were constantly made and a wide variety of garments can be found from "bootees" to gloves to whole Irvin jackets and trousers. The carrying bag is quite an unusual find and may add a reasonable extra value.

The example shown is in very nice condition and I would imagine it would fetch around £100-150 on ebay. David Farnsworth at The Historic Flying Clothing Company would also make you a fair dealers offer and would be well worth talking to before you decide to sell. He is extremely honest and fair to deal with and is probably the leading expert on the subject in the UK, having written.co-written two superb books on the subject.