Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Recycling centre (tip) find

Article about: Went to my local tip on Friday, had a chat with the forman there and asked if anything of interest to me had turned up. He said, only this, I rescued it from the wood skip.There was a bundle

Default Recycling centre (tip) find

Went to my local tip on Friday, had a chat with the forman there and asked if anything of interest to me had turned up. He said, only this, I rescued it from the wood skip.There was a bundle of wooden legs, leather straps and greenish canvas. I already own one of these chairs so I knew what it was. Another really good find from our local tip, a Roorkhee chair,named after the Royal Engineers base in India where the chair was first made in about 1888.The main frame of the chair is made without any bolts or any other form of fixing. The upright legs are drilled with holes into which the stretchers fit, the stretchers have tapered ends. When the canvass seat and back rest are in place and the two leather arm rests are in place the chair is quite firm. there are two other leather straps to the front and rear of the chair. This chair having a push together fit is flexable and will find its own level on uneven ground and this is what made it so popular with the Army or on safari up to the present day, John.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recycling centre (tip) find