Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Remember the Maine sinks again

Article about: Some photos and photo postcards of the second sinking of the Maine. For those who don't know they raised the Maine from the Havana harbor. Then they sank it again . No conspiracy there.

?

Default Remember the Maine sinks again

Some photos and photo postcards of the second sinking of the Maine. For those who don't know they raised the Maine from the Havana harbor. Then they sank it again . No conspiracy there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Remember the Maine sinks again   Remember the Maine sinks again  

Remember the Maine sinks again   Remember the Maine sinks again  

?

I guess nobody remembers the Maine

No, I don't either. But interesting post cards all the same, especially the first one with what must be an eye witness account of the sinking.

What was it all about? a hulk being scuttled?

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    I guess nobody remembers the Maine
    To be honest I doubt many outside an interest in the period would but it is an interesting tale that in the period was bound to raise conspiracy theories.

I am inclined to think though that from a political credibility point of view it just would not do to have been heard exclaiming enemy action for the cause to have been down to an explosion of "firedamp" ( a terrifying phenomenon for coal miners even today) setting off the ships magazine thereby indicating poor design (by later standards). It would be damaging politically for those who had shouted "it was the enemy" when it was actually equipment failure. Also, not a good idea from an intelligence point of view to "air your dirty washing in public".

I imagine that moving the wreck was partly a matter of clearing an obstruction (good cover for other motives I suppose) and that moving it rather than just blowing it to pieces in a demolition would remove the immediate chances of any "smoking gun" being discovered, pardon the pun.

The current resting place of the wreck is surely deep enough now (3,600 feet) to make further investigation unlikely because the story just isn't impactive enough today (unless there really is more to it) and the salvage value is not sufficient.

An interesting bit of naval history all the same;

ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Maine_(ACR-1)

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-28-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Isn't the mast/crows nest at Arlington National Cemetery? If so yes I remember the Maine. Cool pictures/postcards. Honestly I was unaware they raised it after the first sinking. Wasn't it's destruction the basis for the Spanish American war? Teddy Roosevelt and San Juan Hill with the Rough Riders etc? Best regards.

Brian

https://www.google.com/search?q=main...-8#fpstate=lie

See I did remember...surprisingly.

?

Yes you are correct Brian the mast was removed and sent to Arlington. Mark thank you for your post . Gary

?

Neat postcards. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Wow! Never knew they raised it. Very interesting. Thanks for the History lesson RH.

Jay

?

Thanks Rich A. and Jay . I didn't know they raised her either until I found these photos and post cards