Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SRD Jar Bric-a-brac found!

Article about: Hello, thought i would share a picture of a SRD jar i found yesterday in a bric-a-brac store for £20. It is in very nice condition, made by Pearson & Co,The Potteries Whittington. I assu

?

Default SRD Jar Bric-a-brac found!

Hello, thought i would share a picture of a SRD jar i found yesterday in a bric-a-brac store for £20.

It is in very nice condition, made by Pearson & Co,The Potteries Whittington.

I assume that this is WW1? Any idea how to tell when it was made as i cannot see a date on it anywhere? (Appears to be an 'M' stamped into the pottery on the front).
    Thanks
    Jimbo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SRD Jar Bric-a-brac found!  

Default Re: SRD Jar Bric-a-brac found!

Hi Jimbo, these are rarely dated. It will most likely be WW1.

Nice find!

Cheers, Ade.

?

I have a 1915 dated one in my collection - it also has a handle on it - both features I have never seen on another! These SRD jars seem to be very common in junk shops in Brittany, France in my experience (no idea why!) and I have brought a couple of dozen home from various trips there to use as swaps etc. They were also produced in WW2 but I have found that the later ones are more often than not dated, usually underneath in the form of a ink stamp. The WW2 ones also seem to often have a darker upper section and more uniform glaze, as well as usually having smaller "SRD" lettering. This one certainly looks WW1 to me

Old Swan Militaria
    ?

Jimbo, there is a junk shop I go to for a lot of my militaria bits and he has a couple a dozen of these and like the one you have, they are ww1 period.

?

I have a couple that are WW2..the ones I have...both Canadian and British are NOT marked SRD..they come in a wicker cover...the only reason I know they are SRD Jugs is because of the sorce and the markings on the bottom..after the wicker broke away on 2 of them..so I say this one is WW1.
    Just my thoughts.

Dean

There is my SRD marked jar.

I love SRD jars, we have one of the small ones that are apparently used for officers