Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Three M1 helmets

Article about: A couple of helmets I found at a local flee market for used carparts Three M1 Front seam fixed bale helmets. They are all sandblasted (sadly) but show some marks and dings giving me the impr

Default Three M1 helmets

A couple of helmets I found at a local flee market for used carparts
    Three M1 Front seam fixed bale helmets.

They are all sandblasted (sadly) but show some marks and dings giving me the impression that they are combat relics from europe. All have stress fractures as many other early M1´s. In one case theres a possible wartime repair of one of the fractures. The bale as been welded back and the crack is brasswelded for support.

The story behind the helmets are that they were found onboard an old boat wich was being cut down. And you wont believe this... There were 50 helmets onboard!

Pipewrench_Dale/Helmets - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    (Know that I probably should upload the pictures here. But I dont have the time for it right now and want to share them with you. But my album wont be erased so the link will work.)

Default Re: Three M1 helmets

Haha thanks.

Dont have a clue why they were found on a boat. But my guess is that they were bought as scrap somewhere in Europe. Perhaps from an old army surplus storage. And brought up to Sweden to be melted down. But for some reason stayed on the boat. But thats just a guess as I dont really know.
    However one of the helmetshells was used as a paintbucket and was filled with woodlacquer. Hard as concrete took some time to remove