Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Trying to determine the value of a doorknob taken from the Nuremberg Courthouse at the end of WWII

Article about: I have what we have always been told is a doorknob from the Nuremberg Courthouse. It belonged to my son's ex-girlfriend. We were told her grandfather, who was a US soldier during WWII, broug

?

Default Re: Trying to determine the value of a doorknob taken from the Nuremberg Courthouse at the end of WWII

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

Default Re: Trying to determine the value of a doorknob taken from the Nuremberg Courthouse at the end of WWII

Hello Roxy, Probably not much of a help, but I Did find a photo that Might be your doorknob. From the look of it, I figured that it wasn't an actual door Knob, as it doesn't look like it Turned anything, and most door knobs in the Nuremberg courthouse(one's that you can Find, anyway) look to be lever type knobs. However, if it Was a fixed knob,it Could have belonged on something like a Sliding door, and I spotted one in this photo from the 1947 Doctor's Trial in Nuremberg. It's hard to see and make out, but the photographer wasn't focusing on the door knob behind the defendant, so it's the best I could find.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Could also be a centrally mounted ornamental knob, not for opening at all.
    Pete

I was thinking of that too, Pete-but from it's shape, it Looks to be for putting your fingers under and pulling, which is why I thought of a sliding door. Also, the bolt hole is fairly huge, so it probably wasn't ornamentally mounted, but rather made to Do something. Unfortunately, even if it could be positively established as being from the Nuremberg Courthouse,I don't believe that it's worth a small fortune. If it's not too intrusive, may I ask what was the auction house's offer you mentioned? We can at least let you know if it's wildly off base.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Well William, in my past as an antique dealer, then interior decorator, I have removed and fitted a few, and the bolts can be quite large. You can also open a conventional door with them, although it is a liitle awkward.
    Pete

?

In my hometown one of the old banks downtown has a similar interlocking Swastika pattern running around it's roof area. I kinda doubt this piece has any connection to the Third Reich just because of the way that the Swastikas are oriented, there were a lot of cultures that used the Swastika facing straight up and down like this one, but only the Third Reich used Swastikas at an angle. I suppose that this handle could have been positioned to be at an angle, but I just feel like this might be a tall tale that got a bit garbled. This is just my opinion of course. Has anyone seen an interlocking Swastika pattern similar to this associated with the Third Reich? I know that in the Western US, (where I'm from originally) Native American/Asian motifs were pretty popular in the 1920's and 30's, and the Swastika was a commonly used symbol of Native Americans/Asians in jewelry and such. I think this may have been something like that, and with WW2 in full affect this knob got pulled off a door to avoid giving the wrong idea to the neighbors! Once again, just my opinion!
    Best,
    Eddie
    P.S. I'm sorry to hear for your losses, that is truly tragic.

Could it be an outside door knob? That would explain its size

Hi Guys,
    I am sorry I have not replied for a while. My Macbook Pro crashed big-time. Was in the shop for a bit, came back & then crashed again. Amazingly, I actually got it up myself this time, although it took a lot of research & many late nights. Surprised my hair is still long; surely felt like pulling it out many times.. Thankfully I am persistent & don't like anything to get the better of me.
    I am amazed, in turn, by you guys & YOUR knowledge & persistence. Thank you so much for helping me to figure this out.
    LA is..well, LA & Hollywood is…Hollywood so I have been very busy, just making ends meet & doing the single parent Mom thing. I haven't gotten to an engineer yet, but I tried to figure the thread profile thing out myself & I certainly have a newfound respect for engineers! Let's just say math isn't int the top ten of my talents… I plan to get the doorknob, or whatever it is, to an engineer/shop hopefully this week.
    The guy was from Sotheby's (New York) and had offerred $5000, but hadn't actually seen the item in person. He had requested it be mailed to him, but then he went on an extended skiing holiday to Colorado. In the meantime, I stopped seeing the guy who was the intermediary/connection & haven't spoken to him in several months, so not sure if the offer stands. If I could reach the guy from Sotheby's, I would most likely just sell it to him, as I need the funds more than the item.
    As my Mac has been down for quite a while, I have some catching up to do, but I will reread the posts and go from there. I just wanted to touch base, thank you all again sincerely, for your interest & help, and also for the caring thoughts of condolence. The losses have been difficult & I am truly touched.
    Wishing you a very happy Easter from Los Angeles/Hollywood, CA!
    Sincerely,
    Roxy

?

I have doubts about this being a door knob. The fact that is threaded makes me think it's not. Door knobs are IMO not attached like this, even fixed door knobs. The ergonomics does not look door "knobby" to either. The pattern is seen almost all over Russia and the far east. We even have mobile phone covers, scarf's and what not with this pattern here.

Hello and welcome to the forum Roxy!
    I am also very sorry to hear of your losses.
    There are many people on here that will do everything in their power to answer your questions. There is also a wealth of information here.
    Good luck in your quest and your future.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast