Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Upstate NY Yard Sale Finds

Article about: Thanks for the kind words, folks! I have some thinking to do about the helmet... I don't have the cash to restore it anyways... so we'll see what I do. Does anyone know anything more about t

Default Upstate NY Yard Sale Finds

I found these at a yard sale in Albany, NY while visiting my girlfriend and was able to scoop up the whole lot for $25.

The helmet appears to be a Quist 62 and is very small. Unfortunately it's in relic condition and has a crack in the dome. The liner band is there but everything else has worn away. What do you folks think I should do with this? I'm kind of tempted to restore it and make it a hands-on helmet for my history classroom when I get back into teaching.

Upstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale Finds

The pennant appears to be a crudely made, mass produced number for parades. The swaz seems less ... "mobile" on one side. To be honest, I expect this to be real. I don't think too much care was taken in the production of these... they were just trying to churn out as many of them as possible.

Upstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale Finds

The targets are a mystery to me. Not sure if they're pre, wartime, or post war... Since they're "No. 6 Targets" instead of "M6 Targets", I assume they're British or Common Wealth...
    Upstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale FindsUpstate NY Yard Sale Finds

Default Re: Upstate NY Yard Sale Finds

Hi Joe, i believe the shell and band have been burned?
    I would keep it like that, IMO.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

You can't go wrong for $25 and they are a good pick up IMO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the kind words, Gents!

The dark toning on the helmet is actually what's left of it's original paint, not charring. To me, it looks sort of like Luftwaffe blue

I would leave the lid as is, it may take alot of hours and money to restore it to the point where it actually looks good again, can you see any lot/batch numbers on it? I have a book of batch numbers, I could look it up for you and tell you what it was when it was born if available.

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    I have a book of batch numbers, I could look it up for you and tell you what it was when it was born if available.
    Unfortunately, I don't see any additional stampings.

?

Joe nice score.

Indeed, nice score Joe ! - all pieces are original - including the targets.

I would not restore the helmet, because it's the 'real deal'
    - much better for hands-on than a faked/restored lid.

I was tempted to 'restore' the one below, but decided
    to leave it as it is.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Upstate NY Yard Sale Finds   Upstate NY Yard Sale Finds  

Regards,

Steve.

I'd agree to leave the helmet as is. Cool pieces for $25. Can't beat that.

Well if it were me and I wanted a suitable example for restoration then I'd be going for your example Joe. Sure, its an original relic but yikes, what a rough condition!

It was cheap enough (without a doubt) and is rusty, cracked and devoid of decals and almost all paint. Sacriledge perhaps but i'd strip that bad boy, putty the crack, hit her with a can of feld grau and a couple of decals, slip in a repro liner/chinstrap and get some educational value out of it. As it is, 1/2 the class probably wouldn't want to even touch it right now, let alone put it on their head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast