Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Weekend finds - 5/1 - 5/2

Article about: Hi all! I'm pretty happy with some of the finds I made this weekend. All were purchased from different vendors at a failry local flea market for what I feel were reasonable prices. If the ex

?

Default Weekend finds - 5/1 - 5/2

Hi all! I'm pretty happy with some of the finds I made this weekend. All were purchased from different vendors at a failry local flea market for what I feel were reasonable prices.

If the experts out there could give their opnions on the Luftwaffe field cap and SS Edelweiss insignia, I would appreciate it. This was my first attempt at buying these types of items, so hopefully I didn't get swindled too badly! They obviously aren't of the highest quality, but better to start small than go big and regret it.

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weekend finds - 5/1 - 5/2   Weekend finds - 5/1 - 5/2  

Weekend finds - 5/1 - 5/2   Weekend finds - 5/1 - 5/2  

Default Re: Weekend finds - 5/1 - 5/2

Hi, good and bad news.

The Gebirgsjagers Edelweiss sleeve insignia in Bevo woven format is Heer, not Waffen SS. But is totally original.

The wound badge is fine too.

The US items are also good.

However, I am not keen on the Luftwaffe cap. The cut is incorrect and the seams to the top of the cap are not like I would expect to see. It is a Janke made fake.

Cheers, Ade.

Here are two original caps from my collection. Look at the seams; see how these have a heavy piped appearance to them?

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weekend finds - 5/1 - 5/2   Weekend finds - 5/1 - 5/2  

?

Thanks, Ade. I appreciate the input! Lesson learned on my part. The dealer I purchased the field cap from is pretty reasonable and is always at the same location, so I'm positive that he will give me a refund or credit. That, or I'll hold onto it as a reminder of what to avoid!

Not too much of a loss either as I only paid $30 for it, although there was a nice set of WWII US Army field suspenders I was interested in for around the same price...Maybe I'll use my credit towards them!

Same with regards to the Edelweiss insigina. Saw it and assumed it was SS as I'm just starting to do my research on German items, but again, only paid $8 so I'm at lease glad to know it is authentic Heer.

I knew all of the US items were the real deal. US items are the only items that I have confidence in....while there are definitely fakes, they're usually fairly easy to spot.

Thanks again!!