Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Where the sun dont shine no more.

Article about: Morning gentlemen I could use a little help with these glasses have had them for about 25 years and have tried to find them on the web to research a few times and can never find an image or

?

Default Where the sun dont shine no more.

Morning gentlemen I could use a little help with these glasses have had them for about 25 years and have tried to find them on the web to research a few times and can never find an image or any kind of info on them they have only one makers mark and that is AOM and that is stamped in the glass on the top of the lens I tried to get a clear picture of it but It's not working out for me. My thoughts are military issue Dispatch rider glasses,aviator glasses,or climbing glasses.Any one out there have any thoughts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Where the sun dont shine no more.   Where the sun dont shine no more.  

Where the sun dont shine no more.   Where the sun dont shine no more.  

Default Re: Where the sun dont shine no more.

I don't think these are issue? But they are almost certainly period.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Adrian they most definitely looked the right period to me as well I just wish I could track down a little more info about them there the only pair like this I have ever come across .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Where the sun dont shine no more.   Where the sun dont shine no more.  

Last edited by Mark K; 04-24-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Just for interest here are a couple of my sets:

British / Commonwealth sun and dust goggles

Cheers, Ade.

Have a look here;

http://www.historicflyingclothing.co...tem.php?id=409

Are you certain about the markings on yours? Could it be Air Ministry> ie an A, then a Crown, then an M?

Cheers, Ade.

?

You may have been right Adrian I was able to take some better pictures of the lenses and it would appear if I flip the glasses up side down it is actually a WOV and not AOM as I first suspected hopefully this will shed a little more light on the subject.

I think they are a set of American Optical machinists glasses and as Ade says,
    certainly period. The leather 'shades' at the sides would be for keeping out
    peripheral light or debris, IMO.

They might be welding glasses, but the lenses aren't really dark enough.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks steve I have used them in the past for brazing but the shade of the lenses are much to light for any kind of welding at one time I had used them while grinding and hat pitted the lenses what ever type of glass they are made of is very soft reminds me of the same texture of laminated glass thanks for the imput.

I think you have a pair of safety glasses there. Found a pair of Wilson glasses that are close to yours. Happy hunting.
    Rudy

Vintage Willson Glasses & Case Antique Safety Goggles | eBay
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

I have an old pair of mountaineering glasses that are just the same the side protectors are to prevent sun / snow reflection from causing snow blindness.

Robin