MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW2 British 2 Man Commando Kayak

Article about: I've spotted an old kayak, which I believe is WW2 in a boat shed near my local sailing club. I've included a picture of the same type below. So is it worth speaking to the owner about it? an

Default Re: WW2 British 2 Man Commando Kayak

I know this is a very old thread, but theres a little bit of progress been made. I was out today at the sailing club and managed to speak to the guy that used to have access to the shed in which the canoe is. The shed has changed ownership recently, and all of the boats inside have had the names and contact numbers of their owners taken down. I'm going to see if I'm able to get in contact with the club that now owns the shed and perhaps find out the owner of the canoe in question as it is still there according to the guy I know

I'll post updates if/when I make progress.

Thanks

Danny

Hi Guys,

You may also be interested in reading books concerning "Operation Rimau" where English and Australian Z Special Unit Operatives in WW11 infiltrated Singapore Harbour and sank Japanese shipping on two seperate raids ( Jaywick & Rimau) using similar "folboats" and intending to use one man submersibles - " sleeping beauties" . My Grandfather-in-law , Claire Stewart , was the signaller for Rimau and during their epic fighting escape was captured and was later infamously decapitated along with the other 9 captured survivors.

?

Thanks for the updates and please tell us more about the books ( where available etc: ) Thks

For those of you interested two very good books related to Operation Rimau, folboats & "Sleeping Beauties" -

: 'The Heroes of Rimau ' (www.lynettesilver.com/book/rimau.htm)
    : 'Kill the Tiger' (Thompson/Macklin)

Was back today and apparently the shed is in the process of being emptied of its contents, I havent been able to get access as of yet but I'm enquiring about who had what in the shed slowly by surely I'm getting somewhere

Thanks

Danny

Just in case anyone has wondered what ever happened with this thread, there has been a little, but significant development.

Progress with this one is incredibly slow, if you look at the dates throughout the thread you will see exactly what I mean..... however I recently made some more enquiry's, kept being persistent and probably annoying but it has got me somewhere. Apparently the kayak wasn't removed from the boat shed and is still there. I managed to get in touch with someone who knows the owner, who is apparently quite hard to get in touch with as he has no email address, and not even an answering machine on his phone. I have few people keeping an eye out for him as he occasionally is seen floating about in the area of the sailing clubs, so I have my fingers and toes crossed that he'll turn up at some point

Thanks

Danny

Thanks Danny. Sometimes these hunts can take many years, but persistance can pay off.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hope a positive result comes from this and that eventually pics will emerge.

Great, that the author of the definitive 'Cockleshell' book chimed in

?

This has probably been said, but this is a Folboat, This was a German Company before the War owned by Jews that got out and went to the UK before the war. The Company is still around.
    and they still make folding Kayaks
    I had a cased Compass for this boat, and I donated it to the Camp X Museum, the case was marked Canoe Compas

Dean O.

There still isn't anything new to update on this unfortunately other than the shed in which the kayak was sitting was emptied of all its contents (kayak included) by those who owned what was inside prior to its demolition last month.

Thanks

Danny

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast