Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 gas mask.

Article about: I have recently acquired this gas mask and I’m looking for any information about it. Not sure where to start my research and your forum was suggested to me. Thanks. ( hope I uploaded the pic

?

Default WW2 gas mask.

WW2 gas mask.WW2 gas mask.
    I have recently acquired this gas mask and I’m looking for any information about it. Not sure where to start my research and your forum was suggested to me.
    Thanks. ( hope I uploaded the pictures properly)

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

This is a Civilian General Respirator, the type issued en masse to the citizens of the United Kingdom during WWII. It is of a very simple design, with no outlet valve. Instead, when the wearer breathes in, the mask creates a vacuum and air is pulled in through the filter. When the wearer exhales, the air is forced out around the sides of the mask. Yours was made by the manufacturer Henley in either May or June 1940. The size of the mask will be printed on the middle head harness strap. It is fitted with a blue 'pre-filter', meant to update the mask against newer war gases that might be employed by the enemy.

It's in a private purchase respirator tin. These masks were issued by the government in a standard cardboard box, which understandably was not all that durable and didn't stand up well to daily wear and exposure to the elements. Many companies and private individuals supplied or made their own solutions to this problem, ranging from covers for the issue box to circular tins like yours. There are a near endless variety of tins, carriers and box covers, and they are collectible in their own right.

Important to note if you're not already aware, but these masks contain asbestos in their filters. They are perfectly safe to keep, handle and display, but should not be worn under any circumstances. They are entirely safe as long as the filter isn't damaged or knocked about. If you really want to feel safe, you can seal the filter with glue, as the Imperial War Museum does.

If you have any other questions about these masks, they're one of the few areas of militaria that I know a fair bit about, so ask away.

Some pictures for context. Left: A woman wearing her respirator. Middle: Two police officers wearing their masks. (Note the lack of a pre-filter). Right: A family wearing their masks during a gas attack drill. The youngest child on the left is wearing a C2 'Mickey Mouse' mask.

WW2 gas mask.WW2 gas mask.WW2 gas mask.

Regards, B.B.

Interesting find, not to be worn as BB has already said.