Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW2 German military found in Oregon USA

Article about: Finding a living WW2 veteran and being able to talk to him in person and hear his stories is something many of us look for and rarely find these days. The only thing better then doing this i

Bob I am not disputing the originality[all near mint originals] just the story,all allied troops grabbed medals and badges ect. as souveniers, and I am not rubbishing the help of the USA armed forces,that remark was uncalled for.

- - ------- - -

Bob I am not disputing the originality[all near mint originals] just the story,all allied troops grabbed medals and badges ect. as souveniers, and I am not rubbishing the help of the USA armed forces,that remark was uncalled for.

[QUOTE=harryamb2;1124470]Bob I am not disputing the originality[all near mint originals] just the story,all allied troops grabbed medals and badges ect. as souveniers, and I am not rubbishing the help of the USA armed forces,that remark was uncalled for.

???? My post was "In my opinion, all of the items are period original. " How is that uncalled for?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    ???? My post was "In my opinion, all of the items are period original. " How is that uncalled for?
    I believe that Harry was referring to calledchosenserved. Specifically, the latter's taking offense at the comment about servicemen looting homes and shops. It is very easy to get names mixed up! I've done it too.

Sorry Bob Erno is correct.the last part of the statement.thats who it was meant for not you,

Unusual to see the 3 Bulgarian medals included in the lot. The silvered cross with the swords and the greyish ribbon is a Military Cross for Bravery 4th class-also known as "The Soldier's Cross". It was issued to non-com's. The other 2 are Merit Medals. If you are interested in selling them, please drop me a line! Nothing of earth shaking rarity, but nice Bulgarian pieces are still not seen all that often!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Anyone who is foolish enough to not understand the looting that went on in Germany by U S troops has no serious handle on historical fact. As American soldiers were billited in German homes, it was not unusual to relieve the owners of not only Nazi items but also items of value. If you saw or read "Band of Brothers," recall all of the private home looting that was done by Lt. Speers. I knew a 101st Airborne sergeant who liberated a Stradivarius violin out of a private home. A search was made and he had to return it. Let us not forget the Hess family jewels that were found hidden in their castle. the mountings broken up and the jewels and gold and silver shipped back to the States, where the those involved, two male and one female officer, were arrested in Chicago and court martialed.
    Last edited by BOB COLEMAN; 02-23-2014 at 03:24 AM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Didn't Charlie Snyder even write about this in his book "Treasure Trove The Looting of The Third Reich"? About how "the looting went on for 3 days before they had even discovered the subterranean vaults"? Looting was widespread- of both official sites and private ones as well. Some got nailed for it, and some brought home unimaginable stolen treasures and others still either threw their loot into the trash when they got scared of getting caught with it or even worse, countless other items simply vanished into oblivion. Even today, they find "odd items" in the basements and trunks of the Vets in their estates and most have no clue as to what they are even looking at. Off to GoodWill or the dump it goes. This is no new revelation.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I have to agree that service persons liberated anything they could find and often posted them home. There are plenty of pictures showing this happened, including private non military items. I am not saying this was the case with this collection, but it happened a lot. Also many items were traded for ciggies etc and it is hard to know for certain how many of these items ended up where they did.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

All items look fine to me. The Kuban shields I would suggest are unissued as there seems to be no evidence that these particular examples were ever attached to a uniform.

The Kuban shields and IABs look new because they probably were!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast