Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Parcel Critters

Article about: Hi. I got these and was told that they were sent in parcels from Canada in WW2 to lighten the mood in Europe. I guess like getting a free gift in a cereal box? They are made from bone and hi

Default WW2 Parcel Critters

Hi. I got these and was told that they were sent in parcels from Canada in WW2 to lighten the mood in Europe. I guess like getting a free gift in a cereal box? They are made from bone and hide, quite good quality. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Parcel Critters  

?

Default Re: WW2 Parcel Critters

I have some serious doubts. Those would be the last thing a POW would want or need.

If anything, they look like something that the POW themselves would have made from the bits and scraps in the camps, to trade to the guards, etc. for things they needed.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yeah I agree. A POW probably wouldnt want such a thing (unless it had a silk map and wire cutters hidden in it!), however, surely there were other parcels sent to Europe, for civilians in occupied areas?

I can't comment on these individual items, but what a P.o.W wanted and what the got were two very different things! Parcels were sent from a variety of groups and charities (just as they are sent to front line troops today) and I have no reason to doubt that similar items were sent in personal packages from families (along the lines of lucky charms or items to remind them of family members/home). However, I would suggest that IF these have come from Canada then they were probably sent in the humanitarian care packages that were sent to Britain in their thousands by the Canadian Red Cross and similar organisations and which are still sent around the world today (Remember a lot are sent by well meaning old ladies who like to add a little personal something - normally crocheted, knitted or similar!)

?

They're in remarkably good condition. I can't see any deterioration on the fur. This would usually lose hair or be the victim of even more critters that like to munch on long dead organic material unless it was cured properly. There doesn't appear to be much age on them, no discolouration or dust.
    Do you know any more of their history?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I don't now anymore about them i'm afraid, just what I have been told. Cheers for the reply.