Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 U.S. Willys gas can?

Article about: There is a post in this section regarding signal wire, one of the other items looks suspiciously like a flimsey can, although being of civilian design and manufacture it might not be militar

Default Re: WW2 U.S. Willys gas can?

its in portugal, in 1970s due to lack of funds, the portuguese goverment closed a lot of military bases, and lots of material was left behind, last year about 500 G3 assault rifles were found in small farm, on the south of portugal. these weapons came from some of these bases.

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    its in portugal, in 1970s due to lack of funds, the portuguese goverment closed a lot of military bases, and lots of material was left behind, last year about 500 G3 assault rifles were found in small farm, on the south of portugal. these weapons came from some of these bases.
    Damn, I wish we had bases here in the state that I live in that had left-over assault rifles

Hi George,
    I can add a few more things. The ICC stands for "Interstate Commerce Commision" which was the US body regulating transport & common carriers. The jerrycan ( as a transportable container ) fell into category '5', hence the stamping. The ICC was abolished in 1995, the current cans have DOT ( Department of Transportation ) on them. Also, the 20 was for 20 litres, the 5 1/4 was for the gallons and the last numbers are the date - in your case 1943 as others have said.
    NSI is not a common maker and their cans were stamped on top whereas most others had the stamping on the bottom. Good find!!

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Hi George,
    I can add a few more things. The ICC stands for "Interstate Commerce Commision" which was the US body regulating transport & common carriers. The jerrycan ( as a transportable container ) fell into category '5', hence the stamping. The ICC was abolished in 1995, the current cans have DOT ( Department of Transportation ) on them. Also, the 20 was for 20 litres, the 5 1/4 was for the gallons and the last numbers are the date - in your case 1943 as others have said.
    NSI is not a common maker and their cans were stamped on top whereas most others had the stamping on the bottom. Good find!!
    Thanks for the extra info, I was wondering what the NSI mark stood for. Was never expecting to find something like this sitting a shed while walking

d25cav
    ?

Thumbs up Re: WW2 U.S. Willys gas can?

It is a WW2 Gas can, 5=5gal, 20 1/4=20.25 liters. 1943 is the date of mfg. QMC is (Army) Quartermaster Corps. Hope that helps.
    Tony

Thanks for that bit of info Tony, George

Just little tip if you find another one, some times the date will be on the bottum of the Gas can.

Mine this way and it dated 44. (got in from trash can)

I know of another gascan but its at my grandparents house in New Mexico, Going by memory its 1943 British(?) It's a apple green color also. My grandpa also has a few Vietnam are ones from '72 to '74. The 1943 one looks to be an exact copy of the German one

Quote by theotherhomer View Post
    I know of another gascan but its at my grandparents house in New Mexico, Going by memory its 1943 British(?) It's a apple green color also. My grandpa also has a few Vietnam are ones from '72 to '74. The 1943 one looks to be an exact copy of the German one
    If the '1943 one' looks to be an exact copy of the German can, it is definitely British
    - they were a very close copy of the German type.

Willys never made Jerry cans however, but like most US military vehicles of WWII,
    the Jeep was hardly ever seen without one. Almost all 'soft-skinned' trucks etc,
    were outfitted with carrying bracket(s) for gas cans somewhere
    about the vehicle.

Adding to Adrians list of makers and figures, it is said that less than 1 percent
    of total production ever leaked.............
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-18-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Next time I'm down there I'll take a look at it and take some pictures of it to upload here. George

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast