MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI era US Aviator's Helmet

Article about: Sorry - one more item his nickname was Bud. my brother Bud is named after him. thanks again Mike

Default WWI era US Aviator's Helmet

Gentlemen,

I couldn't find the proper section to post my lastest purchase and this one seems to be the closest. I recently acquired this WWI era aviator's helmet that was worn by Lt. Charles Lester Morse whom served in the Great War.(research continues to what capacity) He later, was one of the Aviator's stationed in Hawaii and subsequently was killed in an aerial collision in 1925. The only evidence I have thus far is from published memoirs of the late Dr. R.K. Brockway.

"THE PLUCKY PIONEERS
    OF ARMY AVIATION IN HAWAII:
    THEY EARNED THEIR FLYING PAY!"
    R.W. Brockway

"For three months, there were no significant mishaps. Then on 17 July, an MB-3 pursuit plane collided with a naval plane and crashed off Fort Kamehameha killing lieutenant Landon Catlett. The stricken navy plane made a safe landing. July 27 of that year, however, was the worst day of all for air disasters. Four army aircraft crashed in three separate accidents in the course of an hour and ten minutes. There was a mid-air collision over Ford Island in which an MB-3A flown by lieutenant Charles Morse of the 19th Pursuit Squadron stationed at Wheeler Field collided with a Navy DT-2 torpedo plane piloted by Chief Petty Officer Frosio. The collision occurred just after both planes took off from adjacent airstrips, at an altitude of only 150 feet. Once again, the navy plane made a safe landing, but the MB-3A crashed and killed Morse."

If anyone has any other information, please post away!

Regards,

Joel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI era US Aviator's Helmet   WWI era US Aviator's Helmet  

WWI era US Aviator's Helmet   WWI era US Aviator's Helmet  

WWI era US Aviator's Helmet  

?

Default Re: WWI era US Aviator's Helmet

looks better than mine

Wow!

Your display is alot more appealing though...LOL!

Regards.

Joel

Thank you Phil if that was directed to my piece.

Kind Regards,

Joel

Anyone have any to post?

Nice flight helmets. The first one posted, being of the hard shell type, looks to be an issued piece and was used mostly by student pilots during training. However, I have seen overseas pilots also wearing a similar type in period photos for protection from cold. Is there a circular ink stamp on the inside of the helmet anywhere?

I have a soft brown leather example from my Lt. Charles Hill grouping, and I will post a photo in a few days.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

As promised, here is mine. This example belonged to Lt. Charles Hill, AEF, 3rd. AIC, Issoudun, France.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI era US Aviator's Helmet   WWI era US Aviator's Helmet  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

I have always liked the hard shell flight helmetand would love to add one to my collection! Here is a photo of one that I took at the museum at Love Field, Dallas, Texas.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI era US Aviator's Helmet  

?

Hello - Charles was my Great Uncle. I dont suppose that this helmut would be for sale? My grandmother was Helen Morse. Obviously they have all passed now. I dont know if you will get this post or not. My email is mike@noranch.com

thanks
    Mike

?

BTW My dad told me that either one of the landing strips or the airfield was dedicated in his name. I have not been able to validate this fact yet.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast