Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Shell Fuse, Car Boot find.

Article about: Hi chaps. Thought I'd get a sounding out about a shell fuse I bought for 3.50 a few years ago on a car boot. Think I've I/D on it now thanks to the search facility here on the forum. German

Default WWI Shell Fuse, Car Boot find.

Hi chaps. Thought I'd get a sounding out about a shell fuse I bought for 3.50 a few years ago on a car boot. Think I've I/D on it now thanks to the search facility here on the forum. German 7.7cm (?).

Any further assistance or info will be gladly absorbed .
    (.303's in for size comparrison).

Martyn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Shell Fuse, Car Boot find.   WWI Shell Fuse, Car Boot find.  

WWI Shell Fuse, Car Boot find.  

Default Re: WWI Shell Fuse, Car Boot find.

martynv4...nice find.....it is a 'fuse KZ 14' subsequent markings include :- Fb, Vorst, mV, and n/A.
    Percussion 55 mm fuse-detonator, without delay, model 1914
    You will easily find this fuse in big quantities on the former battlefields. unfortunatly most of these objects are now very corroded, because they were made in aluminium. Only some have a zinc alloy or brass body, and resisted far better.
    This is the basic fuse of the explosive or gaz shell of the 77mm FK (Field Kanone) 96 n/A field gun, equipped with a 20 grammes acid picric detonator, it had a simple and economic design. Classic functionning of a German percussion system with black powder grain and stem arming.
    It was usually used with the explosive and gaz shells of the
    77 mm FK 96 n/A and FK 16 field guns
    4 marks have been observed on KZ 14's :-
    KZ 14 Fb with centrifugal security
    KZ 14 Vorst with safety pin
    KZ 14 mV with delay
    KZ 14 n/A in zinc and steel
    Yours appears to be made by the AEG company in 1915.
    Prost! Steve. with a little help from www.passioncompassion1418.com
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Shell Fuse, Car Boot find.   WWI Shell Fuse, Car Boot find.  

Many thanks Steve!

Within minutes of posting this, I had also found passioncompassion1418.com! I think it was your thread that I'd found on the forum search facility earlier.

Upto press I'd assumed it to have been British for some reason but am glad to have found out otherwise. Bit of a family joke here, it could well have been lobbed from my German grandfather at my British one, they were both there and again in N.Africa for WWII.

Seriously though, I do hope that it had caused NO casualties, to ANYONE.

Well, as far as I am aware, it's the oldest piece of German militaria in my collection now and 3.50 well spent. Thanks again.

Martyn.

martynv4, I have one atop a complete shell , although heavily corroded, see photo, there is also both a 77mm shell case and 105mm Howitzer shell case, the 77mm cases come in handy to mount some of my Pickelhaubes on !

A shot of the 7.7cm shell, you can see how scabby my fuse is !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Shell Fuse, Car Boot find.  

It doesn't matter if you think it's "scabby" or not, it's a good example as far as I'm concerned!

As for the Picklehaubes, if I can sweet talk one of my aunts heh heh heh!

Fine display!

Martyn.

Quote by oradour View Post
    A shot of the 7.7cm shell, you can see how scabby my fuse is !
    It is antique looking.I think it looks great .You have a very nice collection.