Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Austrian Galipoli Stars

Article about: Okay, here is something I have wondered about since I missed one. I have seen all sorts of information, pictures and opinions about the Turkish and the German Galipoli Star but there is noth

Pola KuK
    ?

Default Austrian Galipoli Stars

Okay, here is something I have wondered about since I missed one. I have seen all sorts of information, pictures and opinions about the Turkish and the German Galipoli Star but there is nothing on the Austrian version. Does anybody know the story? I saw and even held the real Mc Coy in my hand - it was in it's original box and it was shown to me by the Austrian Naval Officer to whom it had been awarded to back in the late 1970's when he was in his 80's - it was no fake nor a fantasy piece.

Default Re: Austrian Galipoli Stars

Hi Pola KuK, the Turkish war medal, i.e. eiserne halbamond (also known as the 'Gallipoli star'), was purely a Turkish decoration, but was awarded to members of the Central powers fighting on all the Turkish fronts, this included Germans, Austro-Hungarians, Bulgarians & of course Turks, awarded from 1915 on, the Turkish issue star was rather crude, and it was common practice for holders, especially Germans, to have a better copy made, usually by a jeweller back home, these were a bit more 'bling', with enamels replacing the red paint and better detail, they came with a variety of pins, both vertical and horizontal, so it is very possible that an Austro-Hungarian officer would have one made by his local artisan/jeweller.