Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Austrian M16

Article about: Hallo all guys. I'm pleased to come to yr forum, as I'm a dagger boy, to ask info about this helmet: do u confirm it's a M16 conforming the austrian WW1 ?

joelabrendola
    ?

Default Austrian M16

Hallo all guys. I'm pleased to come to yr forum, as I'm a dagger boy, to ask info about this helmet: do u confirm it's a M16 conforming the austrian WW1 ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian M16   Austrian M16  

Austrian M16   Austrian M16  

Default Re: Austrian M16

joelabrandola,....first, welcome to the forum !... a stunning original example, of an Austro-Hungarian M17 helmet. The M16 Austro-Hungarian helmets were of German manufacture (specifications as per the German M16) sent by Germany and worn by the KuK mainly on the Isonzo front, the Austro-Hungarian M17 was produced onwards from May 1917, and is typified by its higher up mounted chinstrap fitting (riveted, and not the usual M91 mount!) and canvas chinstrap. love its condition ! thanks for showing.
    Prost ! Steve.

joelabrendola
    ?

Quote by oradour View Post
    original example, of an Austro-Hungarian M17 helmet. The M16 Austro-Hungarian helmets were of German manufacture (specifications as per the German M16) sent by Germany and worn by the KuK mainly on the Isonzo front, the Austro-Hungarian M17 was produced onwards from May 1917, and is typified by its higher up mounted chinstrap fitting (riveted, and not the usual M91 mount!) and canvas chinstrap. love its condition ! thanks for showing.
    Prost ! Steve.
    thanks mate, so if i well understood this is an austrian M17 (born in may1917)cause of the higher point for chinstrap mounting. But you say the austrian used a previous m16 given them by the germans: with the same low (german) chinstrap point ? with the canvas chinstrap or leather ? and colour ? sorry mate but i'm pretty ignorant about these austrian helmets

joelabrendola, by November 1916 the Germans had supplied approx 500.000 standard (German made) M16 helmets to the Austro-Hungarians, (with leather "Pickelhaube" type chinstraps), the Austro-Hungarians usually painted them a brown colour.
    Prost ! Steve.