Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Cross for Military Merit, III class, by Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna

Article about: Hi Chaps, here's a real favourite of mine, a Cross for Military Merit, III class, with war decoration, on war ribbon, with second award bar & crossed swords. (Militär-Verdienstkreuz, III

Default Cross for Military Merit, III class, by Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna

Hi Chaps, here's a real favourite of mine, a Cross for Military Merit, III class, with war decoration, on war ribbon, with second award bar & crossed swords. (Militär-Verdienstkreuz, III Klasse mit K.D., am Kriegsband, zweite Auszeichnung mit Bar & gekreuzten Schwertern). It's hall & maker marked to Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna & comes in a matching maker marked box. The cross is in great condition with all it's enamels which is nice as they are often seen in damaged condition. The Cross was instituted on 21 October 1849 to be awarded to officers for distinguished service in peacetime and for bravery and leadership in wartime. In 1860 a laurel wreath between the arms was added for wartime awards. Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna were court jewellers to the Emperor and one of the most renowned makers of orders and decorations for European courts.

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross for Military Merit, III class, by Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna   Cross for Military Merit, III class, by Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna  

Cross for Military Merit, III class, by Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna   Cross for Military Merit, III class, by Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna  

Attached Images Attached Images Cross for Military Merit, III class, by Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna 

a nice medal you have.

Thanks Harryamb2

?

Really nice.

Cross for Military Merit, III class, by Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna
    My contribution, although admittedly my knowledge in these is quite limited. They are marked, however, with what appears to be a name. I inquired them through a veteran of the Second World War. He said they were discovered in the rubble of a home after advancing from the Battle of the Bulge, right outside, or in Germany. In fact, he said he found most of the items he brought home from destroyed, or abandoned homes, which included two mint SA daggers, a Luftwaffe dagger, U-Boat and Destroyer Badge, two k98 bayonets, these, and several other items. It is far from the usual cry of I took them off a "dead SS officer", but at least it's the truth.
    I almost forgot, thank you very much for sharing your example, it is definitely a nice one.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 10-02-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Cross for Military Merit, III class, by Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of ViennaCross for Military Merit, III class, by Vinzenz Mayer’s Söhne of Vienna
    Last one.

Hi youthcollector1, you've got some nice original medals there. Interesting story. Many Germans who served in WW1 could have these as they served alongside the K.u.K. Are there any maker marks on the rings? By the way, the the medal on the left & on top are on the wrong ribbons. The top can be swapped with the left one; but the top ribbon isn't showing. The ribbon on the left is for the Karl Troop Cross which is also missing.

I've just added some threads with some info (see below): -

Golden Cross of Merit with Crown, on wartime ribbon with swords (Goldenes Verdienstkreuz mit Krone, am Kriegsband mit Schwertern) by Wilhelm Kunz of Vienna.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/austr...08/#post997472

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/austr...sakkal-348707/

Here's a thread with the Karl Troop Cross: -

are there variants of the Karl Troop cross?

Yes, they are marked, but without magnification I currently can't tell by whom. I will try to get back with you on that as soon as I can though.
    That is quite interesting about the ribbons, and was something I wasn't aware of. I know for a fact the vet didn't do it, as he was a friend, therefore, the only other reasonable explanation would be the recipient himself did it.
    Anyways, thank you for the informative threads, they have proved to be quite helpful. I've always been curious about these medals, and your links have served me well.

Add: I forgot to mention, in regards to the location where they were discovered, all he could recall was they were found after the Battle of the Bulge, either outside of Germany, or in Germany, and in a abandoned home. I would imagine they all came from the same location, too, as they are all in the same condition, and share several other characteristics. However, that's not fact as he never stated it was so, just a theory of mine.
    Once again, thank you for the informative links above.

Hi youthcollector1, glad to be of help. Perhaps the medals were in the collection of a German medal collector?! I don't think you'll ever know for sure; but any way they are great medals in their own right, Cheers, Richard.