Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

m 95 styer bayo NCO ??

Article about: Hello Gent's, i looked up some refference on this bayo, i did not find much. it said it was an uncommon NCO bayo, m95 steyer austro - hungarian. thats all i know about it. this one is lucky

?

Default m 95 styer bayo NCO ??

Hello Gent's,
    i looked up some refference on this bayo, i did not find much. it said it was an uncommon NCO bayo, m95 steyer austro - hungarian. thats all i know about it. this one is lucky enough to have a frog still. not sure why its an NCO ? all opinions welcome.
    andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m 95 styer bayo NCO ??   m 95 styer bayo NCO ??  

m 95 styer bayo NCO ??   m 95 styer bayo NCO ??  

Default Re: m 95 styer bayo NCO ??

That's an old bayo, it's in great shape. The leather on the frog is incredible too. Somebody put that thing away early. I don't know what would make it an NCO issue either. I know border guards and civilian units used the M95 through WWII, but I don't know if they kept making bayos. I assume they probably did. Did you find anything about date of manufacture by markings? Thanks for sharing.

Jay

?

Hi Andrew , you are correct , it is a standard issue NCO Austria-Hungary 1895 bayonet with pommel loop and hooked quillion . A bayonet knot was looped through the pommel loop and looped around the quillion , ( it was common practice for Austrian NCO`s to wear a knot attached to their bayonets and the loop in the pommel was there to accommodate this ) the blade is stamped OEWG for Osterreischische Waffenfabrik Gesellschaft . Interestingly , although this model was similar to preceeding types , it`s cutting edge was reversed , and was uppermost when fixed to the Mannlicher rifle . This bayonet was standard issue through WW1 `between the wars and up until the annexation of Austria by the Nazis
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

great info Alan, thank you. that pommel loop explains the difference. what i had read did not say much. over all its in great condition. no paint left on the scabbard, but it's not rusty. the frog is still good.
    it should go to someone that has the rifle for it. i have some other odd's and ends i'm going to clear out of my collection when i can bring my self to doing it lol.
    andrew