MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Austrian Water Bottle ? - Opinions please

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, Picked up a few pieces of military equipment at the weekend. Was told this piece is a WW1 Austrian army water bottle measures 20cm x 9cm - it well maybe - got to wondering a

?

Default WW1 Austrian Water Bottle ? - Opinions please

Hello Gentlemen,
    Picked up a few pieces of military equipment at the weekend. Was told this piece is a WW1 Austrian army water bottle measures 20cm x 9cm - it well maybe - got to wondering about the stamp on it - Austria 1916 Werke - half English, half German. Have members seen this before on Austrian military water bottles, any information welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Austrian Water Bottle ? - Opinions please   WW1 Austrian Water Bottle ? - Opinions please  

Default Re: WW1 Austrian Water Bottle ? - Opinions please

Pretty sure this is ok..............
    Regards,

Steve.

Alec, you have a perfect original "Austrian" canteen (as Steve has said), this is what I have found, " The most common canteen that you will find is enameled 0.5 l bottle. Almost all of them will be stamped with either 'Austria', 'Brun' or other name and date (anything between 1915-1918) It is also known there are undated canteens. The Czechoslovaks also manufactured this type of canteen after the end of WWI and the only difference is the year of production and makers name stamped on the body.
    During the war troops were improvising with covers and carries for those canteens. There were many types of 'home made' covers made of wool, canvas, and linen for canteens, some were sew on permanently some were made with string for tightening covers grip on the body of the canteen. But most of the canteens were carried with out any covers. The only known prescribed model of carrier for canteen was issued only to mounted troops, it was a 'skeletal' type carrier made of leather . Infantry officers carried these carriers too. Most of the 'carriers' were however a simple string attached to two 'ears' on the canteen's top . Also encountered are 'home made' carries that join together two canteens. Those were most likely used by medics. All canteens were issued with a cork stoppers, sometimes replaced with a simple wooden plug, a cup was fastened to the canteen with a string. Most cups are missing from the canteens", no explanation is given why the stamped mm is part English, part German.
    Hope this helps,
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Hello Gentlemen,
    Thanks for the posts and Steve special "Danke Schön" for your research work, makes interesting reading and authenticates the canteen. Still find MM odd, the canteen capacity 0,5 Litre is a bit megare hardly a days ration, poor soldiers must have been constantly on the lookout for a water source. Again thanks for the information.
    Best wishes
    Alec

Quote by AlecH View Post
    the canteen capacity 0,5 Litre is a bit megare hardly a days ration, poor soldiers must have been constantly on the lookout for a water source.
    Alec, your welcome, most Austro-Hungarian soldiers carried two or even three canteens because of this !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Hello,

As Steve mentions, the majority of these canteens were carried in the breadbag, as was the previous aluminum model. There was an issue harness, however, made from canvas, with a pouch and matching shoulder strap. I don't have any dates as to when and to whom theses were issued, but I have seen period photos of them being worn by foot troops. Here is what mine looks like with the attached cup.

I have a copy of the Adjustierung Vorschrift from about 1910 that outlines the equipment and uniform items of the Austrian army, but unfortunately, it does not include this wartime model.

Chip

WW1 Austrian Water Bottle ? - Opinions please

Hey Chip, I thought you were a German collector, Oh, I forgot ... and Russian ect.
    Here is a photo of my selectin of Austrian waterbottles, the one with the leather harnes was carried by F. Holtzner of the Tirolean Kaisersschützen.

Best
    Gus

?

Gus,

You know my collection is just a minigus version. I do have the other two bottles you have shown, but no photos of them to copy and I was too lazy to dig them out.

Chip

Quote by CCMJR View Post
    Gus,

You know my collection is just a minigus version. I do have the other two bottles you have shown, but no photos of them to copy and I was too lazy to dig them out.

Chip
    HAH!, next to you I am a rag picker.
    Best
    Gus

Otis
    ?

I have this , also Werke but it's 1915

Anyone want to buy it ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast