Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

?? WW1 Austro Hungarian Trench Shovel ???

Article about: Hey mates.. i am being offered this Feldspaten. It is supposed to be Austrian or German from WW1. But my knowledge on those items is small, and i know that this design was used by other coun

Default Trench Shovel - WW1 Austro Hungarian ???

Hey mates..

i am being offered this Feldspaten. It is supposed to be Austrian or German from WW1.
    But my knowledge on those items is small, and i know that this design was used by other countries too.

There is a maker´s mark on the back of the shovel, that says "B & .... ", and i think it says "WIEN", too..

Any thoughts on this one?
    A good one for which i should go?

Best regards from sunny Mexico

Danhashman
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ?? WW1 Austro Hungarian Trench Shovel ???   ?? WW1 Austro Hungarian Trench Shovel ???  

?? WW1 Austro Hungarian Trench Shovel ???   ?? WW1 Austro Hungarian Trench Shovel ???  

?? WW1 Austro Hungarian Trench Shovel ???   ?? WW1 Austro Hungarian Trench Shovel ???  

Last edited by danhashman; 11-10-2015 at 07:51 AM.

'WIEN' is Vienna in the German language so Austria is certainly where it was made - but, it could be interwar also.......

regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks for your prompt answer, my dear DENMARK.
    Fortunately i know who WIEN is and where it is (somewhere in Norway ), that gives me actually a certain confidence in that particular trenching-tool. But i did my mandatory Internet-search about shovels, makers and so, unfortunately i did not get smarter. You know, some more profound Information, but strangely there is alost no informtion on Trench-shovels in this forum, even thou this was a BASIC tool in trench warfare of WW1. Diggin´oneself into the ground could make difference between life or death, as one was more protected bullets and shrapnell from artillery.
    Also the shoveo could be a very powerful weapon when the Bayonet was not at hand..
    My highest respects for the totally underestimated FELDSPATEN !!!!

Hey ho.. NO TRENCH-SHOVEL EXPERTS AROUND HERE ???

?

The showel is a good one! Austrohungarian. The leather give me some doubts....

Thanks !!! I went for it. Will post some better pics once it gets here...