Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

LT. H. Donald Hudson not forgotten

Article about: .

Default Re: LT. H. Donald Hudson not forgotten

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LT. H. Donald Hudson not forgotten  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LT. H. Donald Hudson not forgotten  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Steve thanks for posting did they help ?
    Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Steve thanks for posting did they help ?
    Gary
    Gary you are very welcome. I haven't had a chance to dig any more, but I will.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Hi guys I'm digging this post back up. As stated earlier I'm very sorry for using the slang form of Japanese. Could anybody out there help find some more info on this pilot and anything on MacArthur's Aces . I have spent a lot of time looking on the net and cant find anything new. If this pilot is an ace I would like to see him put on the list. Gary

?

Hi guys once again I'm dragging this post back up I first posted it back in 09 would love if somebody could find more out on this pilot . Gary

An interesting story that deserves more research. From what I can read (and see) from the news cuttings, it seems that Lt. Hudson may have been with the 8th Fighter Group and was involved early attacks on the Japanese beachheads at Buna and Gona on north coast of Papua New Guinea in mid 1942. In November 1942 a major Allied ground attack began on the Japanese positions. The 8 FG was based at both Milne Bay and Port Moresby and their air attacks interrupted the Japanese capacity to resupply and reinforce the beachheads, and prevented the establishment of a Japanese air base at Buna.
    Hudson is not listed in any list of aces that I can find but the 36 aircraft destroyed were shared between 14 pilots according to the news cutting. And by 1942 the P-39 was obsolete so the accomplishments were all the more outstanding. Later in 1943 the 8th FG were redeployed to Townsville, Australia.

LT. H. Donald Hudson not forgottenLT. H. Donald Hudson not forgotten

Default A genuine hero.

Greetings Gary,

I had some free time today, so I thought I'd see what I could find on 1LT Hudson 1915-1943 ASN: O-427737 on the various paid subscriptions' websites (e.g. Ancestry, Fold3, Newspapers.com, etc.).

Unfortunately, nothing of his wartime's exploits were available for viewing. I suspect, if you submitted a NARA's request for his records described in fellow forum's member Rakkasan187’s most excellent tutorial here A Tutorial on how to search for US Service Members Records from the National Archives (NARA) you may get closer to your answers. But, it will cost you some time and money to do so.

What I did find I have shared below. I did not find the “MacArthur’s Aces” article, but I have uploaded a better version of one article you have had posted and some other relevant ones as well.

Double click the individual articles to enlarge them.

Here is a picture of him and his wife at their wedding (I assume it must be in 1943, but no date was listed).

And still in their Wedding attire, they are looking at his DFC in this image.

Next is his Burial Card. Note no one bothered to enter anything in the service record's area.

His Listing in the World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (DNB = Died Non-Battle).

His Find-a-Grave's website is here: Henry Donald Hudson (1915-1943) - Find A Grave Memorial
    And on that website you can see his wife has chosen to list his wartime squadron on his headstone, which reads as the 41st SQDN 35th Group.

Based on his aircraft’s crash date/location you can view he was flying a P-47G (a Curtiss made Thunderbolt’s variant).

...DATE..............Aircraft Type.................A/C Serial #..................Location
    ..430828...............P-47G.........................42-24988...............VANDALIA 4 MI SE, OH.

That (above) data was obtained here: Accident-Report.com - USAAF/USAF Accidents for Ohio

If you desired to buy a copy of the Official Accident Report you can find it available for order listed on this page (by date):August 1943 USAAF Stateside Accident Reports

A video history of the 41st Squadron is available on this page: Pacific Ghosts - World War II Pacific History, Wrecks, Veterans, Books and DVDs
    And a small entry of the 41st SQDN’s WWII service in Australia is here: https://www.ozatwar.com/41thsqn.htm

On 1LT Hudson being a five-victories'/Ace, I would presume with all of the newspaper’s articles about his various awards (i.e. DFC & Air Medal) and write ups about his subsequent accident/injuries, the wartime press would have ensured that bit of information was included if it was fact. Even in post #22’s article about him refusing a second cup of coffee he “refuses to state” if he shot any Japanese planes down. What fighter pilot that genuinely believe he’d shot an enemy plane down does not take the opportunity to affirm that in a newspaper? Granted, he may have been the quiet professional of legend or perhaps haunted by his own exploits, yet I do find it hard to believe his Ace’s status would not have been brought to the forefront in the various stories about him after his return from 15 months hard flying/fighting in the Pacific Theater.

In 1943, America was hurting for good news and the stories of his awards would have been greatly enhanced by the addition of his Ace’s status if it were confirmed/true. Of course, there’s nothing conclusive either way. Whatever the true case, 1LT Hudson did more than his fair share in the Pacific Theater and too, died while performing his duty back in the States.

I do hope we get a conclusive answer about his Ace’s status either way yet regardless, he remains a bonified hero in my book.

Best,

V/r Lance

?

That is some fantastic info/pic's Lance.
    That should make Gary's day!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast