Here is a piece of fabric from the 258th Aero Squadron (observation).
The panel is the symbol of the 258th Aero Squadron, a depiction of a sculpture of a lion. The insignia is entitled, " the Lion of Belfort" in honor of a prominent statue in Belfort. The 258th was stationed at Luxeuil, which was outside Belfort. The panel is an original, cut from the side of a Salmson 2A2 issued to the squadron. The Salmson was a well regarded reconnaissance aircraft, which was the original duty of the 258th. The squadron reached the front 19 September 1918, and therefor did not see much combat time. The only fliers that saw combat time, were actually assigned to British squadrons, then reassigned to the 258th