Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

258th Aero Squadron Fabric

Article about: Here is a piece of fabric from the 258th Aero Squadron (observation). The panel is the symbol of the 258th Aero Squadron, a depiction of a sculpture of a lion. The insignia is entitled, &quo

Default 258th Aero Squadron Fabric

Here is a piece of fabric from the 258th Aero Squadron (observation).

The panel is the symbol of the 258th Aero Squadron, a depiction of a sculpture of a lion. The insignia is entitled, " the Lion of Belfort" in honor of a prominent statue in Belfort. The 258th was stationed at Luxeuil, which was outside Belfort. The panel is an original, cut from the side of a Salmson 2A2 issued to the squadron. The Salmson was a well regarded reconnaissance aircraft, which was the original duty of the 258th. The squadron reached the front 19 September 1918, and therefor did not see much combat time. The only fliers that saw combat time, were actually assigned to British squadrons, then reassigned to the 258th
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 258th  Aero Squadron Fabric  

Default Re: 258th Aero Squadron Fabric

Closeup of the lion
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 258th  Aero Squadron Fabric   258th  Aero Squadron Fabric  

Quote by Chris L View Post
    Closeup of the lion
    Chris,
    Very nice and extremely scarce, as is all original fabric. Are the tunics ID'ed?
    Terry

Chris,

Great job on a difficult to frame fabric. Really looks great.

Great lloking observers tunis as well. You sure have the good stuff!DJ

I can only echo the above Chris. I hope to have something similar one day!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Belleauwood View Post
    Chris,

Great job on a difficult to frame fabric. Really looks great.

Great lloking observers tunis as well. You sure have the good stuff!DJ
    Thanks Dennis!!! I owe you a few brews when I finally get to meet ya!

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Chris,
    Very nice and extremely scarce, as is all original fabric. Are the tunics ID'ed?
    Terry

Hi Terry!

Both tunics are named. I will post more of them this weekend.

The tunic on the left is to LT Anderson, of the 183rd Flight Detachment, and then the 258th Aero Squadron

The tunic on the right is 2LT Lyle Corlette, 258th Aero Squadron

(Love 258th Stuff

Quote by Chris L View Post
    (Love 258th Stuff

And so do I! This is a great piece of 258th AS history. Same with the tunics. I'll keep my eyes open for any reference to either of those aviators as I continue to organize my 3rd Photo Section grouping.

-Chuck

I have a lead that I am sure will be of interest to both Chris and Chuck.

Since you are both my friends, and each share an interest in the 258th, I'll PM you both with the information and let you two decide who will bow out as I know you are both gentlemen, and would not want to "step" on the other interested party...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Chris-
    I will gracefully bow out...

Steve-
    Thanks for the lead!

-Chuck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast