Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Article about: Surprise, surprise...today I received the book "Wild Blue Yonder" by Don Clark. In it, I found many interesting photos that I have never seen before. However, there ARE two that I

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

More photos coming soon...I haven't even scratched the surface yet.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

As a side note to this thread/grouping, the below shows the conversion of a shipping crate to the display housing you see in the photos here if you are interested in looking.

From Shipping Crate to Militaria Display
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Next up are two books and the Pilot Log of Lt. Hill. All are named inside to him in his hand. I will follow up with some inside shots of the pages of the Pilot Log.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The first page of the Log book...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

General information...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Grades...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Note the inscription by the instructor..."Recommended for Pursuit Pilot". Contrary to what we may think, not every WWI Pilot was a Pursuit Pilot. Some were Observers and ferry pilots. To be a Pursuit Pilot was an induction into the "elite".

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

An interesting page showing total hours on different aircraft. As you can see, the total flying time was very short. Every attempt was made to get new pilots in theater so that they could get into action as soon as possible. Unfortunately, this accelerated pace cost many trainees their lives...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

A very interesting element of the log book. This is basically a report card with remarks from the officers who trained the pilot. There is a notation on the card that states it is not to be opened by the pilot; only the CO. The holes in the flaps once held a tie string and possibly some type of seal to prevent tampering. There are numerous inscriptions within...Charles did quite well.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last one for the Pilot Book. This appears within the first page of the "report card". The comments by the officers within were taken very seriously and determined what capacity would serve in.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast