Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Article about: Surprise, surprise...today I received the book "Wild Blue Yonder" by Don Clark. In it, I found many interesting photos that I have never seen before. However, there ARE two that I

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Discharge in period two-sided glass frame...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Reverse of the above...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

American Legion Certificate for over 70 years as a member...Charles was 94 years old when this was awarded.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

A large 8X10 photo and close up. An inscription on the reverse states that this was a Naval training plane.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI   2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ooooooops.....

This is a stateside photo of a training plane (Curtiss JN-4 "Jenny"); this was NOT part of the training. The star decor on the wheels to the best of my knowledge, was something that was used only on US based aircraft.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Another shot of a Curtiss "Jenny" training plane. This was one of the most beloved planes of the period and was very forgiving, and easy to fly compared to other aircraft of the day.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve-
    I absolutely love your skill with the camera. Your ability to compose a scene, such as that Hill display case, is truly first-rate. Wonderful work!
    I'm also glad to finally see more from this historic aviation collection. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us all.
    By the way, I've read somewhere there's a significance behind that black cat on the fuselage of the Jenny. I've gotta dig that up again...

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Steve-
    I absolutely love your skill with the camera. Your ability to compose a scene, such as that Hill display case, is truly first-rate. Wonderful work!
    I'm also glad to finally see more from this historic aviation collection. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us all.
    By the way, I've read somewhere there's a significance behind that black cat on the fuselage of the Jenny. I've gotta dig that up again...
    Awwwwwwww shucks..........thanks Chucky. i would love to know the significance of that cat.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

More detailed photos of the rest of the grouping coming very soon...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Aviation collectors - anyone know the significance of the black cat on the fuselages of planes as in post #46? I can't seem to find any information about its use.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast