MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Article about: Surprise, surprise...today I received the book "Wild Blue Yonder" by Don Clark. In it, I found many interesting photos that I have never seen before. However, there ARE two that I

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Surprise, surprise...today I received the book "Wild Blue Yonder" by Don Clark. In it, I found many interesting photos that I have never seen before. However, there ARE two that I have seen before. The two photos in the book are the same ones I have in my collection.

I had always wondered about the stories behind the significance of the black cat on the fuselage of the plane in post #46, and what the story was behind the crashed Jenny in post #45. Today, I know the story, and I believe that I have discovered from which squadron the "Black Cat" is from.

The book focuses on The 300 "Yankee" warbirds in Canada, Texas and France. There is some indication that this cat may be related to what was called Coffin Squadron 92. This makes sense because the Canadians trained in Texas under agreement for use of three airfields here in exchange for training 300 of our pilots.

First, the crash photo and story as it appears in the book:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI   2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

The same plane photo as seen in my grouping... There is, as I previously stated, references to "Coffin Squadron 92". I need to research more and read the book. I just received it a few hours ago, so I haven't had a chance to dive into it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Steve, I just went all the way through this thread again. It is amazing how complete this group is! Thanks for putting forth the effort to post all of it!

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Steve, I just went all the way through this thread again. It is amazing how complete this group is! Thanks for putting forth the effort to post all of it!
    Erick,

Thanks. Would you believe there is more...a lot more... I am just waiting until I get the room back in order so I can pull out the rest of the uniform pieces and documents to post...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I KNEW IT! When last we spoke, I mentioned it (the black cat) had a foreign connection to it. I think I mentioned English but as you so astutely pointed out, there's a Canadian angle to it all. Great bit of research on your part. I now feel only half crazy

Strve,

One of the finest groups around - Would be a centerpiece in ANY collection!!

Really a great job!!

DJ

Quote by Belleauwood View Post
    Strve,

One of the finest groups around - Would be a centerpiece in ANY collection!!

Really a great job!!

DJ
    Thanks Dennis, I agree. This is about as complete as you see. As you and I discussed today, I am setting my sights on the next level of aviation, so...

If anyone is interested in obtaining this group, please send me a PM.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6