Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Article about: Surprise, surprise...today I received the book "Wild Blue Yonder" by Don Clark. In it, I found many interesting photos that I have never seen before. However, there ARE two that I

Arrow 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Lt. Charles Hill was born on January 21, 1895, and passed away on October 1, 1994. Hill studied military aviation at Cornell University, Ithaca, New York from January 5 thru March 8, 1918. Pilot training was conducted at Wichita Falls, Texas and he received his commission as a 2nd. Lieutenant on July 16, 1918. Also on this date, he received his wings and appointed Military Aviator. Armament and gunnery training was received in Fairfield, Ohio at the Air Service Armorer's School from August 13, thru September 9, 1918, after which, he received orders to report to the 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center at Issoudun, France for training as a Pursuit Pilot. Lt. Hill arrived for training at this facility on November 8, 1918, with the war ending on November 11, 1918. Receiving orders on January 21, 1918, he was ordered back to the United States arriving in March of 1919. and was discharged from service on April 14, 1919 from Camp Sherman, Ohio.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI   2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

The above is but a brief introduction for a most complete trunk grouping to a Pilot who missed his 100th birthday by three months...how I wish I could have spoken with him.

This grouping is massive, and there is more in the trunk that is not shown in the photos above. I will eventually post everything included in the grouping, however, it may take a bit as there are probably 50 separate documents alone.

I hope you enjoying this fascinating piece of history that tells the story of part of man's life from long ago. For now, here are a few shots to get things started...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Overseas Pilot Identity Book, and Aero Club of America Certificate. It is extremely rare to find either of these in any aviation grouping - to find both in this condition (in any condition)...well, it doesn't get any better than that.

Lt. Hill is wearing the same tunic for the photo which is shown in the display. Under magnification, I can see that the eagles on the buttons are facing in exactly the same direction. Additionally, the wings show the same minor damage and loose threads on photo and the tunic...incredible.

You will also note that he is wearing his shirt collar over the collar of the tunic. Some pilots did this to avoid the chaffing experienced by the wool against their neck.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI   2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Inside photo, Aero Club Cert.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Before I get too far into the thread, I thought you all would like to see where Charles (he said it was OK to address him that way) lived as a boy...

601 Lafayette ave. Brooklyn, NY.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Overseas with regulation black and green piping - very rare in of itself.

Charles at one time, wrote his name on tape and applied it inside most of his uniform items. He was a member of the American Legion for over 70 years, and I am sure that he had his items on display throughout the years.

2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Officers visor cap.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Leather dress shoes.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Leather lace up flying boots. This style was very popular and can be seen in numerous period shots.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

French made binoculars used by Charles for aerial observation...yes, they still work perfectly.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast