Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

B-24 Bomber Hit by Bomb

Article about: Incredible - B-24 Bomber Hit by Bomb | Military.com Annoyed from this ads?  

The bombs seem to be dropping behind the B-24 and I really doubt that they would be as sloppy as to drop the payload so near the other plane. Most likely just enemy AA gun fire. Still, nice footage.

?

This has happened a lot. Aleksander you have to keep in mind that when they flew these missions . There was an Upper Group, middle Group and lower group in the formations. They did this to stagger the altitude against flak and also it was a block formation and offered the best defense against fighter attacks. There are several video and pic's out there where B17's from the lower group have caught up with the Upper group above them and the Bombs were dropped on the Bombers below. There are pic's on our 384th Bomb Group web site that has wings and tails being ripped off as bombs fell on them from above.Very tragic! But it did happen.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

I've seen this clip before as well as still photos. I always understood it to be a flak hit in the wing root. I viewed this on a small tablet screen I could be wrong bit I replayed and paused the video a few times to see if I could see the bomb. I could not.

Just my thoughts. Very interesting video however.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The introduction of the video does say the it is a B24 shot down in the carolines raid. So it must be a flak incident. It is the gent who posted the original video to military.com who titled it that it is from a dropping bombs.

Here is a pic of the B17 Silver dollar and this is what happen when bombs from the upper group dropped them on the lower group

42-37781 SILVER DOLLAR, 9 MARCH 1944

Here is the sortie info which mentions that this B17 and another B17 from another group was also downed during this accident.

384th BG Sortie Report: Sortie 2093

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    This has happened a lot. Aleksander you have to keep in mind that when they flew these missions . There was an Upper Group, middle Group and lower group in the formations. They did this to stagger the altitude against flak and also it was a block formation and offered the best defense against fighter attacks. There are several video and pic's out there where B17's from the lower group have caught up with the Upper group above them and the Bombs were dropped on the Bombers below. There are pic's on our 384th Bomb Group web site that has wings and tails being ripped off as bombs fell on them from above.Very tragic! But it did happen.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thank you for the info Phil, I did not know that and that is most intriguing.

Still in this video the hit seems to be caused by enemy flak fire in my opinion. I believe that the video has also been mistitled and been posted on Youtube.

?

Quote by Aleksander P View Post

Still in this video the hit seems to be caused by enemy flak fire in my opinion. I believe that the video has also been mistitled and been posted on Youtube.
    I agree with you Aleksander

SF
    Phil

Very Neat film. I would have to agree though that it was hit by Anti - Aircraft fire though. The bombs appear to be dropping in the background. The B-24 was known as a flying coffin by its crews. If fire hit the wings just right, the wings had a tendency to fold up, as we saw in the film. Thanks for sharing

?

I remember watching this as a Kid and just about every book you opened had a still shot of the incident.

Greg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pg-damb17-berlin-after-622x468.jpg 
Views:	1131 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	788016
    It wasn't that unusual for bombers to be hit by other bombers, here's a B17 over Berlin!..
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast