Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bomb doors open by Flight Lieutenant Ken Trent DFC and bar.

Article about: This week was the Jersey International Air Display here in Jersey, Channel Islands. As usual I help out where needed, and I was lucky enough to be able to go on board the Lancaster bomber wi

Default Bomb doors open by Flight Lieutenant Ken Trent DFC and bar.

This week was the Jersey International Air Display here in Jersey, Channel Islands. As usual I help out where needed, and I was lucky enough to be able to go on board the Lancaster bomber with Ken Trent DFC and bar. He has just written a book about his time in the RAF which although I have not read it yet I am told is a good read. Having know Ken for over 30 years now I knew given the chance he would be biting at the bit to get back on board the plane. No sooner had his wheel chair come to a halt at the front of the aircraft he made a run for it and was up inside the aircraft in double quick time. We just stood and watched this 93 year old man revert back to his younger years and he was in the pilots seat before we could catch him. You can see Ken in the pilots seat in one of the attached pictures and me poking out of the top of the aircraft. At least I can saw I have been in a Lancaster with a real WW.2 pilot and True Gentleman at the controls.
    The book is available from Seeker Publishing, ISBN 978-0-9932657-9-2
    ALL PROCEEDS from the book will go to The Royal Airforce Benevolent Fund and Holidays for Heroes Jersey. The book cost £19.95 plus postage.

I hope you don't mind me posting this here as its not a direct sales post, but all monies will go to 2 very worthy causes.
    All the best,
    Damien.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bomb doors open by Flight Lieutenant Ken Trent DFC and bar.   Bomb doors open by Flight Lieutenant Ken Trent DFC and bar.  

Bomb doors open by Flight Lieutenant Ken Trent DFC and bar.   Bomb doors open by Flight Lieutenant Ken Trent DFC and bar.  

Bomb doors open by Flight Lieutenant Ken Trent DFC and bar.  

I bet he was thinking "Next stop Berlin" or some other highly inappropriate non PC thoughts, the old bugger! Respect to him!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Only 20 years ago he was allowed to fly her when she was over, but times have changed.... he still could but he's not allowed because of health and safety reasons. I for one would love to see him at the controls, why not if he wants too, there's always the co pilot if it got too much for him. He is off toDuxford this week to promote his book.... which he does very well.
    D

Another book on the to read list!.....

Great story and sincere respect to Ken, the greatest generation. Any signed copies available?

I am currently working again in the factory where that superb Lanc was built in 1945

Cheers