Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cast WWI Wings Are NOT Always Bad...What?

Article about: Hi fellow conservators/collectors. The other day I was reviewing several threads where myself and others have identified cast wings supposedly from WWI as being fake. I realized that in stat

Default Re: Cast WWI Wings Are NOT Always Bad...What?

Cliff has graciously shot the reverse of his wing in post #2, so please take a look. There is an incredible amount of handwork that went into this piece...wow.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

WenPch
    ?

Cast WWI Wings Are NOT Always Bad...What?Cast WWI Wings Are NOT Always Bad...What?My great great uncle Major Thomas S. McGee served in France during WWI with Capt. Harry Truman (pics can be found of the two under Truman archives). When Uncle Tom died in '49 Truman was president and he sent a big red, white and blue floral display to his funeral. Uncle Tom's widow Margaret gave his military trunk some years ago to my mother who just gave me some WWI wings that were in it. I have attached photos of the wings. I wonder if these are Tiffany wings. Any info you could give me is greatly appreciated. She also donated some aviator goggles found in his trunk to a local museum.

McGee, Thomas S., b. 1881 - Harry S. Truman Presidential Library

A nice set of wings, for sure. They are textbook Johnson Company wings. Johnson did make Tiffany wings also, but the US on the Johnson type have longer letters(particularly the "U") than the Tiffanys you usually see. The "S" in the normal Johnson pair have rounded curved edges as opposed to the Tiffany "S"s that featured flat edges with corners to them. There are other smaller differences, but no need to go into them here, of course. All Tiffany wings I've seen have been Marked "Tiffany" as well. Johnson made both, but had 2 sets of dies-one for their normal wings and one for Tiffany.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

WenPch
    ?

Thanks for your input, Uncle Tom was not a pilot as far as we know and we are not sure how he came to have these wings. Since they were not his issued wings I would consider selling them. What would be the best way to do that. I sell jewelry on ebay but don't see any recent similar WWI wing sales. Anyone have advice for me?

They're nice wings and certainly collectable. What would you like for them? PM me if you'd like. Also, as a member, you could always sell them Here in the Classified section too.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2