Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fake Alert! Fake 93rd Aero Squadron pins being offered

Article about: Caution: There are two World War I era, 93rd Aero Squadron pins currently being offered by two different vendors on a well known internet auction website. You can see both pins below. They l

?

Default Fake Alert! Fake 93rd Aero Squadron pins being offered

Caution: There are two World War I era, 93rd Aero Squadron pins currently being offered by two different vendors on a well known internet auction website. You can see both pins below. They look similar in construction but after examining them closely you can tell they are not identical.

The important thing to know about these two bad boys is that BOTH are fakes!

Caveat emptor!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake Alert! Fake 93rd Aero Squadron pins being offered  
    Last edited by CliffP; 08-22-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Default Re: Fake Alert! Fake 93rd Aero Squadron pins being offered

yes these are bad boys,and thanks for alerting us to their spuriousness,,,

Howdy Cliff,

Thank you for posting these. I believe that I am correct in saying that the hardware on the first pin is NOT a style that Tiffany incorporated into their products. Your thoughts?

In fact, both of these items feature a style of hinge, pin and catch found on Imperial German as well as French awards/decorations. Do you think that these are European products forgeries?
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Steve,

The faker who cast the badge on top used an original 93rd AS badge to make his mold. I've no idea whether Tiffany ever used hardware like that seen on the back... but I seriously doubt it. I do know that Tiffany would never have used a hand etched TIFFANY hallmark on any of their products.

The bottom badge is a rendering of what a 93rd AS badge should look like and the faker came close in getting his example to look similar in design. It too is cast.

Examples of fake 93rd AS badges have been around for a long time, at least 15 or more years. One of the first vendors of the badge on top is a well known scoundrel who hails from the State of Maryland... and he remains active even to this day.

Speaking of Imperial German type hinges and their French counterparts. Typically, they should not alarm us because a few squadrons in the AEF stayed in Europe and Germany after the Armistice was signed as members of the Army of Occupation.

Cliff

Quote by CliffP View Post
    Steve,

The faker who cast the badge on top used an original 93rd AS badge to make his mold. I've no idea whether Tiffany ever used hardware like that seen on the back... but I seriously doubt it. I do know that Tiffany would never have used a hand etched TIFFANY hallmark on any of their products.

The bottom badge is a rendering of what a 93rd AS badge should look like and the faker came close in getting his example to look similar in design. It too is cast.

Examples of fake 93rd AS badges have been around for a long time, at least 15 or more years. One of the first vendors of the badge on top is a well known scoundrel who hails from the State of Maryland... and he remains active even to this day.

Speaking of Imperial German type hinges and their French counterparts. Typically, they should not alarm us because a few squadrons in the AEF stayed in Europe and Germany after the Armistice was signed as members of the Army of Occupation.

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Many thanks for the follow-up reply.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by CliffP View Post
    Caution: There are two World War I era, 93rd Aero Squadron pins currently being offered by two different vendors on a well known internet auction website. You can see both pins below. They look similar in construction but after examining them closely you can tell they are not identical.

The important thing to know about these two bad boys is that BOTH are fakes!

Caveat emptor!
    Cliff,
    Good to see you over here at this forum, considerably more professional are the members of this forum than some of the other sites. That being said thanks for throwing this out. I recall seeing these show up at the Green Belt, MD show in the early 80's only at that time they were supporting the name of Lt. Carruthers. I had corresponded with Lt. Carruthers on a couple occasions so I got back with him and he stated that he still had his badge at the house and it did not have his name inscribed on the back. After the word went out about the fake inscriptions they started renaming them and I have since seen several with the names of different 93rd pilots pop up at the shows and auctions.
    Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Cliff,
    Good to see you over here at this forum, considerably more professional are the members of this forum than some of the other sites. That being said thanks for throwing this out. I recall seeing these show up at the Green Belt, MD show in the early 80's only at that time they were supporting the name of Lt. Carruthers. I had corresponded with Lt. Carruthers on a couple occasions so I got back with him and he stated that he still had his badge at the house and it did not have his name inscribed on the back. After the word went out about the fake inscriptions they started renaming them and I have since seen several with the names of different 93rd pilots pop up at the shows and auctions.
    Terry
    Excellent first hand experience/information Major, thank you. Confirmation wise, it doesn't get much better than this.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

A new twist to an old scam!

This just popped up on the same website. Another figment of someones imagination dealing with the 93rd Aero Squadron put together to lure the unsuspecting:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake Alert! Fake 93rd Aero Squadron pins being offered  

Thanks for the photos Cliff. I see that this "chiseled" wing pattern is a favorite of fakers. This design seems to surface quite often, but this is the first time I have seen it in a design that deviates from the standard pilot wing. Shameful...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Here is a photo of Lt. Louis Carruthers wearing an authentic 93rd Aero Squadron pin.
    Attached Images Attached Images Fake Alert! Fake 93rd Aero Squadron pins being offered 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast