Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Fake? "Clipped" WWI JR Gaunt RMA Wing at Auction...

Article about: Hi all, I must admit that my experience with this maker is VERY limited as I have never handled an original. I am on the fence with this one as to whether this cliche' type (instead of massi

Default Fake? "Clipped" WWI JR Gaunt RMA Wing at Auction...

Hi all,

I must admit that my experience with this maker is VERY limited as I have never handled an original. I am on the fence with this one as to whether this cliche' type (instead of massive/solid) strike was used by this firm. I do like the fact that appears die struck as I don't think Gaunt is known to have cast wings, and I like that it has incised stars...however, it looks like tarnish on the "gold" letters (maybe just the lighting) - if it is tarnish, that is a no no.

There are a couple of concerns however for me on this one. First, I do not believe that JR Gaunt produced the J/RMA version of this badge. Second, again, the appearance of the gold US.

Someone please enlighten me if I am not correct as I am always willing to learn.

My thoughts about this badge are that it is either:

1. A fake or period original broken/ or deliberately "modified" MA badge that someone is trying to push as a rarer version of the two badges.

or

2. The aviator of the time decided to clip a pair of wings because he liked the particular design of this maker. However, if this was the case, one would think that he would be willing to spend a few cents to have a jeweler make the revision and add an additional post.

I think #1 above is the more probable of the two scenarios.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake? "Clipped" WWI JR Gaunt RMA Wing at Auction...   Fake? "Clipped" WWI JR Gaunt RMA Wing at Auction...  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Default Re: Fake? "Clipped" WWI JR Gaunt RMA Wing at Auction...

Hi Steve,

Contrary to popular belief JR Gaunt never made that style badge, or any other US type WW1 wing badge out of metal. It's sad to say but in this particular case you are correct in that it was a pilot badge, correctly made by Robbins, with one wing either broken off... or heaven forbid, modified.
    :-(
    Cliff

Default Re: Fake? "Clipped" WWI JR Gaunt RMA Wing at Auction...

Quote by CliffP View Post
    Hi Steve,

Contrary to popular belief JR Gaunt never made that style badge, or any other US type WW1 wing badge out of metal. It's sad to say but in this particular case you are correct in that it was a pilot badge, correctly made by Robbins, with one wing either broken off... or heaven forbid, modified.
    :-(
    Cliff
    Howdy Cliff,

Thank you for the clarification on the maker. What a shame as to the present condition...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]