Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings

Article about: Steve, My sincere thanks to you for your work so far in this thread. My knowledge lies is WWI, and I admit that I know little about WWII wings comparatively. I look forward to learning from

Default FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings

This thread is not about trashing the individual who may be selling the wings we post, it is about educating ourselves so when we do see them on sites, we can steer clear of them. There is a lot of deliberate "crookery" that happens - true, however sellers in some cases may really not know that what they are selling is bad. As Oddball would say "Don't hit me with them negative vibes man".

Please post examples of fakes, and explain the differences to be found in the fake and real example if at all possible. It helps to know why...

Steve...(Walkwolf), you can have the honor of posting the first as I no longer collect WWII wings. I do however have some reference photos of fake ones, but I have to find them.
    Last edited by Steven M; 01-27-2010 at 11:50 PM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Fake WWII Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings

I may not be the first, as It will take time for me to post photos.

Restrikes fall into this category as well as modern or current wings........

Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings

Here are some fakes of WWII style wings.
    All of these are cast and undersized - just under 3"- the Aerial Gunner is only 2.75". They all have uneven surfaces, "bubbles", incorrect lettering and lack of fine detail.... Some of the pin and catch arrangements have been installed wrong also........Where there should be crisp 90 degree edges
    with die-shear marks, these are all round and dimpled.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings   FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings  

FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings   FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings  

Lack of detail is evident.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings   FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings  

FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings   FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings  

All pins and catches are the same "generic" type.......
    The tip of the pin should normally be covered by the clasp
    so it wouldn't get caught on clothing or skin....

This set of N.S.Meyer wings may be of post-war manufacture.
    They seem to have simulated toning applied.....

An original "A.E.Co." wing for comparison. This is the most common pattern of
    USAAF wings, designed in the 1920's and called the "smooth" "slick" or "Adams" pattern.

The edges and surfaces are a lot more even on genuine wings, although this one
    has a flaw caused by a fracture or a fragment of metal in the die during the stamping process.

I've named this wing "Maguire No.5" as it is the actual wing featured on page 78 in
    Jon A. Maguires book "Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens" - a great reference
    book on WWII AAF insignia, uniforms and flight gear.....

These are all "post-war" wings. Any wings with an alpha-numeric code on them
    are of more recent manufacture from the 1950's, 60's, 70's and 80's........

The "Senior Navigator" wing in the center is my first wing, purchased in the late 70's.......

Wings made of brass or bronze alloy and marked "1/20th silver filled" are from the 1960's and 70's.....

RAF cloth wings !

Top two are common WWII period examples, the other three are current replicas.
    You can see the differences in the thread material used !

The one on the upper right (not the sweetheart pin!) is most probably a post-war
    "Kings Crown" late 40's early 50's unpadded version....

I hope this thread helps some of you.....
    There are so many variations of wing badges !

Regards,

Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast