Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Halifax crash memorial Nr York

Article about: The inscription states that the memorial marks the location where, on 7 February 1944, at 10am, Halifax bomber DK192 from RAF Rufforth crashed in 10/10ths cloud during a training flight, kil

Default Halifax crash memorial Nr York

The inscription states that the memorial marks the location where, on 7 February 1944, at 10am, Halifax bomber DK192 from RAF Rufforth crashed in 10/10ths cloud during a training flight, killing all the crew. The driver of a milk lorry, Mr Arthur Wood Kirkby, who was passing on the road, was also killed.

Just look at some of the ages of these boys. 19 is the same age as my son, I cant imagine him flying bombing missions over Germany !

There is an RCAF War graves site near my home and there are many graves with 17 year old Gunners. Incredible they were so far away from home and so scared I'm sure

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images Halifax crash memorial Nr York 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Default Re: Halifax crash memorial Nr York

A nice post Nick, and a beautiful memorial. It must really make you appreciate your son, and we all must be touched by the tender years of those that sacrificed so much back then.

Regards,

Carl