Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Historical question about RAF pilots during Battle of Britain

Article about: Good morning! I have an historical question for you: I see many photos of RAF pilots during battle of Britain, photographed just before enter in airplains during LW attacks, that don’t have

Default Historical question about RAF pilots during Battle of Britain

Good morning!
    I have an historical question for you: I see many photos of RAF pilots during battle of Britain, photographed just before enter in airplains during LW attacks, that don’t have visible holster or belt. Did they perhaps use the pistol in the uniform’s pocket or sidcot suit pocket?
    Very few are seen with external holster..

Hope you help me!

Thank you!

?

I do not believe that During the Battle of Britian Pilots carried them. They were fighting over the UK, so there would be no need as they did not follow the Luft back to France and over Enemy Areas

Just My Thoughts

Dean O
    Canada

I'm guessing but if they were flying sorties over Britain (ie friendly territory) perhaps they would not carry sidearms.

I agree with the two comments above

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

There was no need for side arms when flying over friendly territory. The impending referendum on the future of Scotland poses an intriguing question though. if the Scots go for a 'yes' vote, will RAF pilots have to carry a side arm when practicing low flying through Scotland?

I agree with the other members. RAF pilots can often be seen carrying side arms in other theatres, such as North Africa and Italy, where they might be shot down over enemy territory.

Hi!
    Thank you for all the replies. That's right they were Flying over their nation, so no need for defence against enemies on land..
    Anyway, perhaps they used guns also for safety: if the cockpit was damaged and it didn't open, I think a gun was useful to shoot at it and try to open it..
    Did they use it inside Flying boots?

I think they only started carrying pistols when the circus'es and rubarbs started.1941.

Thank you all for the help!
    have a nice day !

It was not a common practice even in many far flung theatres for aircrew to carry side arms, very much individual preference. Bomber Command aircrews did not carry them In the far east in proximity to the Japanese and other hostiles it was more typical, and more often for protection on the ground on their airfields than as a anti-capture sort of thing.. In the early days of the invasions more 2nd TAF aircrew carried sidearms, and it may have been ordered IIRC. But in the BoB era certainly not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast