Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Home of the Dambusters

Article about: I had lunch at the wonderful Petwood hotel in Woodhall Spa , Lincolnshire at the weekend. There is an amazing display of Dambuster memorabilia there! Well worth a visit! The large branch you

Default Home of the Dambusters

I had lunch at the wonderful Petwood hotel in Woodhall Spa , Lincolnshire at the weekend.

There is an amazing display of Dambuster memorabilia there! Well worth a visit!

The large branch you see above the Squadron bar was extracted from a Lancaster after it had landed!

The hotel building served as a military hospital for injured soldiers during the Great War, but it is as the home of the legendary RAF 617 “Dambusters” Squadron in World War Two that Petwood is best known. Occupied from 1942, it was originally home to officers of the 97 and 619 squadrons, but with nearby Woodhall Airfield chosen as the operational base, 619 squadron moved away and the officers of 617 moved in.

Today, the Squadron Bar hosts a range of memorabilia and tributes to Guy Gibson VC, Leonard Cheshire VC and their Officers. Petwood was a scene of some jubilant celebrations with the breakthroughs made by Squadron 617, as well as tragic losses. We can only imagine the sheer bravery of the Squadron and the huge risks they took in enemy territory, facing death time and again. Guy Gibson alone, the Squadron’s heroic young Wing Commander, carried out over 170 raids by the age of 24. Just two years later he was killed in action.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home of the Dambusters   Home of the Dambusters  

Home of the Dambusters   Home of the Dambusters  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

nice post Nick.

?

Visited a couple of years ago Nick , fantastic place , did you see the upkeep in the car park ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks for sharing, Nick. Nice to see this history preserved.

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Visited a couple of years ago Nick , fantastic place , did you see the upkeep in the car park ?
    Yes Paul ! Didn't know about that until I read it on one of the brochures inside the hotel !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Nice one Nick
    Wouldn't mind spending a night there myself

Great shots, I would love to get the chance to visit the place, it looks like it is oozing history and old world charm.

Thanks for posting them up Woolgar !

Regards

Bob

I'm there again today having afternoon tea with some veterans! I will post some pics 😊

Nick

Don't get pi**ed, mixing with us veterans can sometimes be bad for your health!

Love going to Woodhall Spa, and RAF East Kirby Museum nearby, great bit of history, only an hour from us really so we go a few times a year, every year for the 1940s festival, then another time for a day out. Last time we visited the Blue Bell Inn for a drink on the way home, lovely place, need to go back soon.