Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Imperial German Enlisted Pilot Uniform

Article about: by Chris L WOW!!! And named to a Bavarian (my other collecting interest). An amazing tunic with a history. So many of the German items I have seen have lost what history they had. I am alway

Default Imperial German Enlisted Pilot Uniform

The attached M-1915 uniform belonged to Uffz. Hans Kleinschred, Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 23. He is credited with two kills, a Sop Camel near Arleux on 15 September and a D.H.4 near Denain on 16 September while flying with JS-23. He sports the ribbons for the Iron Cross 2nd Class and the Bavarian Merit Cross. Also awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class. The pilots badge is a C.E. Juncker (minus the crown in the hall marks). I have been searching for several years in an attempt to find more details ref this pilot with no success. If any of you Imperial German professionals out there have any additional information I would greatly appreciate it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Enlisted Pilot Uniform   Imperial German Enlisted Pilot Uniform  

Imperial German Enlisted Pilot Uniform   Imperial German Enlisted Pilot Uniform  

Imperial German Enlisted Pilot Uniform   Imperial German Enlisted Pilot Uniform  

Imperial German Enlisted Pilot Uniform  

Default Re: Imperial German Enlisted Pilot Uniform

There are times when "WOW" is the only thing I can think of to say...this is incredible, and so rare. Thank you very much for sharing this. What is interesting, is that the pilot badge is Prussian rather than the Bavarian version. I have actually seen period photos and patriotic cards showing Bavarian Pilots wearing the Prussian version of the badge.

I found a possible in a listing of German Air Service Personnel, however the name (last only and questioned) falls under Jasta 32. The plane bore the number 2454/18. Of course that doesn't mean that he didn't serve in other Jasta's in his flying career. I guess it is a definite maybe...

32 Kleinschred ?? Pfalz D.XII 2454/18

I also searched through the book "The Sanke cards" by Charles Woolley, which is alphabetized, however I did not see him.

Oh, and I think it is safe to say that that document is even more rare than the uniform. This is the first I have seen!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Incredible
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Steven M View Post
    There are times when "WOW" is the only thing I can think of to say...this is incredible, and so rare. Thank you very much for sharing this. What is interesting, is that the pilot badge is Prussian rather than the Bavarian version. I have actually seen period photos and patriotic cards showing Bavarian Pilots wearing the Prussian version of the badge.

I found a possible in a listing of German Air Service Personnel, however the name (last only and questioned) falls under Jasta 32. The plane bore the number 2454/18. Of course that doesn't mean that he didn't serve in other Jasta's in his flying career. I guess it is a definite maybe...

32 Kleinschred ?? Pfalz D.XII 2454/18

I also searched through the book "The Sanke cards" by Charles Woolley, which is alphabetized, however I did not see him.

Oh, and I think it is safe to say that that document is even more rare than the uniform. This is the first I have seen!

Steven,
    I think that this was an earlier assignment, I hit on a link (probably the same one that you found) some time ago. Kleinshred is not that common a name and I doubt that several of them would be in the Air Service. He probably did all his training with the Prussians rather than the Bavarians and was later assigned to the Bavarian Jagstaffel 23, which would account for the Prussian badge. I suspect that there are not a lot of Imperial enlisted aviator uniforms around. This is the only one I have every run across. Needless to say it is one of my favorites, right in there with Riable, Clay and Bilderback.

Terry

Quote by Steven M View Post
    There are times when "WOW" is the only thing I can think of to say...

!
    Indeed!!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steven,
    I think that this was an earlier assignment, I hit on a link (probably the same one that you found) some time ago. Kleinshred is not that common a name and I doubt that several of them would be in the Air Service. He probably did all his training with the Prussians rather than the Bavarians and was later assigned to the Bavarian Jagstaffel 23, which would account for the Prussian badge. I suspect that there are not a lot of Imperial enlisted aviator uniforms around. This is the only one I have every run across. Needless to say it is one of my favorites, right in there with Riable, Clay and Bilderback.

Terry
    Yes Sir, I too think that his last name is not that common. When I found the link, I think there were only three or four total hits for that name. It is indeed a treasure, especially with confirmed kills and the document confirming such.

Perhaps sometime, you will share some of the other groupings with us that you mentioned.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Hi Terry , that tunic looks fantastic , congrats on a wonderful find !! is the cap a part of the set ?

cheers Al

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Hi Terry , that tunic looks fantastic , congrats on a wonderful find !! is the cap a part of the set ?

cheers Al
    Alan,
    Thanks for the kind comment. Yes, the cap is the exact shade and weight wool as the tunic. A perfect match. I have had this uniform for about 30 years now.

Terry

That set is a stunner! I will look in my references to see what I have on him.

Cheers
    Gary

WOW!!! And named to a Bavarian (my other collecting interest). An amazing tunic with a history. So many of the German items I have seen have lost what history they had. I am always thrilled to see one with a name, and a history to follow.

Have you tried asking on the GMIC? They can usually track down WWI Officers fairly easily.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast