Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Just when you think you have seen everything in wings

Article about: When I first saw these photos, my first reaction was ..."Well, I'll be a dirty name". I dare say that if I came across these wings for sale, without having seen them in period phot

Arrow Just when you think you have seen everything in wings

When I first saw these photos, my first reaction was ..."Well, I'll be a dirty name". I dare say that if I came across these wings for sale, without having seen them in period photos, I would think they were fakes. Why? Because the end result looks "lazy" and unfinished.

The RMA wing appears to be made with thread instead of bullion, which, according to Special Regulation 41, could be considered as correct as it stated wings were to be "embroidered" doesn't say in what, just embroidered. However, how many period wings have you seen that were actually embroidered in thread? Also, the details shown in the second set of photos look like some fakes that I have seen recently...go figure.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Just when you think you have seen everything in wings   Just when you think you have seen everything in wings  

Just when you think you have seen everything in wings   Just when you think you have seen everything in wings  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Just when you think you have seen everything in wings

Quote by Steven M View Post
    When I first saw these photos, my first reaction was ..."Well, I'll be a dirty name". I dare say that if I came across these wings for sale, without having seen them in period photos, I would think they were fakes. Why? Because the end result looks "lazy" and unfinished.

The RMA wing appears to be made with thread instead of bullion, which, according to Special Regulation 41, could be considered as correct as it stated wings were to be "embroidered" doesn't say in what, just embroidered. However, how many period wings have you seen that were actually embroidered in thread? Also, the details shown in the second set of photos look like some fakes that I have seen recently...go figure.
    Steve,
    Where did you get these pictures? It looks to me as if they were computer altered or possibly even an earlier alteration using a camera with black and white film. I can't see a observer or pilot wearing a half wing in this manner. I know some of the O half wings were sewn on at an angle but nothing like this. I would really have to see an original period picture of these guys to make a determination. Lt Swaab was out of NY and had 10 kills, should be a bunch of pictures of him around, will see what I can find. Any idea who the half wing belonged to?
    Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steve,
    Where did you get these pictures? It looks to me as if they were computer altered or possibly even an earlier alteration using a camera with black and white film. I can't see a observer or pilot wearing a half wing in this manner. I know some of the O half wings were sewn on at an angle but nothing like this. I would really have to see an original period picture of these guys to make a determination. Lt Swaab was out of NY and had 10 kills, should be a bunch of pictures of him around, will see what I can find. Any idea who the half wing belonged to?
    Terry
    Major,

The first photo of Swaab, I found in one of my books. The title is "America's First Eagles - The official history of the US Air Service (1917-1918)" by Lt. Lucien H. Thayer. The photo appears on page 220; the photo is credited to the National Archives. The second photo set, I found on the other forum I used to post on, and he is unidentified.
    Last edited by Steven M; 02-05-2010 at 08:59 PM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Steve,

I can't opine on the half wing having never seen a smiliar one but the pilots wing could very well have damage to it from simple use that has 'trimmed' down the corner. I have seen similar wear on other legit wings.

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Major,

The first photo of Swaab, I found in one of my books. The title is "America's First Eagles - The official history of the US Air Service (1917-1918)" by Lt. Lucien H. Thayer. The photo appears on page 220; the photo is credited to the National Archives. The second photo set, I found on the other forum I used to post on, and he is unidentified.
    Steve,
    Went to the book and took a look. I think that Swaab's badge was probably bullion but in the old black and white photos that are not to clear the new shinny bullion looks white like this. As for the half wing, it's probably a period picture but sure looks like someone glued a picture of a half wing on another picture then reshot it. I agree it looks like it is just white thread embroidery. I think you said it all in your quote "just when you think you have seen it all".
    Thanks for posting, everyday is a learning experience.
    Terry