Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

L4 grasshopper and pilot

Article about: My neighbor was a ww2 pilot who flew Piper L4 grasshopper for Gen. Patton. He was part of Patton's headquarters staff and took Patton up on many occassions. He does not talk much about his e

Default Re: L4 grasshopper and pilot

Nice work there Greg, that's a fine looking model you've produced!! What scale is it? Is it balsa and paper or a plastic kit? Whatever, i bet the old pilot is chuffed to bits with it, and so should you be!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Greg,

Fantastic job on the model, and very thoughtful of you.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Thanks
    It's a 1/35 scale plastic kit. The first kit I've done in over 40
    years. The biggest challenge was making my own decals
    and painting the tail numbers. My old shakey hands are not
    up to doing the detail work anymore.

He was surprised and greatfull to get it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Thanks
    It's a 1/35 scale plastic kit. The first kit I've done in over 40
    years. The biggest challenge was making my own decals
    and painting the tail numbers. My old shakey hands are not
    up to doing the detail work anymore.

He was surprised and greatfull to get it.
    It is guys like you Greg that keep me in this hobby. Just about the time I get frustrated and consider keeping my items to myself, someone like you goes and does something so kind and giving, that it make me realize that there are more good-hearted collectors than there are bad apples.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last night my old friend invited us over for some coffee and Christmas cookies. He gave me a picture that he took of the
    SS school at BadTolz. The picture was taken just at the end
    of the war as it was being set up to be used as the 3rd Army
    Headquaters.

It was one of his jobs to setup and maintain a landing strip
    each time the headquarters would move.

He took the picture from his L4 using an old Brownie camera.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture L4 grasshopper and pilot   L4 grasshopper and pilot  

gregM

myself around.

He also gave me this spoon he "Liberated" from the school.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture L4 grasshopper and pilot   L4 grasshopper and pilot  

gregM

myself around.

Fantastic Greg! The old gentleman will have your kind gift as appreciation of his service in his last years, and you will have mementos from an old warrior to remember him after he is gone. Even if nothing had been exchanged, the friendship you two have forged will always be with you.

That is what a lot of people fail to recognize about being interested in collecting these items. The memory of, and the relations with these people who actually lived through this time is FAR more important than the cloth and metal objects themselves.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Please tell your pilot friend that there is someone here in the U.K. that is for ever greatful to his fellow pilots who flew the same type of aircraft in Burma, if you speak to any Burma veterans about medi-vac pilots they will tell you that they were fearless and saved so many lives. we all owe a huge thanks to all the American pilots without them we could not have triumphed against the Japs. John.

Thanks John, I will pass that along.
    gregM

myself around.

Quote by Steven M View Post
    The memory of, and the relations with these people who actually lived through this time is FAR more important than the cloth and metal objects themselves.
    Steve, I have been very fortunate in that over the years I have
    known several vets. Most have been very willing to share some of the there experiences with me. Owen, has lived across from me
    for 25 years and we have become friends. I find it very interesting
    that he was on was Patton's pilot and he has some great stories.
    But I also enjoy just hanging out. He would much rather talk about his collection of fishing lures. We go to auctions together
    when there is fishing tackel, marbles or militaria listed.

He's just a nice old guy to be around.
    gregM

myself around.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast